Fondant Letters On Buttercream...

Decorating By JaeRodriguez Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 1:43pm by JaeRodriguez

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a cake for a birthday party and I have only used fondant one time, so I pretty much am a newbie! icon_razz.gif I am making the cake out of buttercream, but I am putting happy birthday in fondant letters on the side of the cake. I am wondering if there is any chance the letters will slide down the side of the cake or if there is something I can do to prevent that from happening! I know with my dump truck cake I used rolled out tootsie rolls for windows and I had the cake in the refridgerator and when I took it out they started sliding down the cake. I wonder if this is because I had it in the refridgerator and I shouldn't have? Thank you! :]]

8 replies
Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 9

I've never had this problem before. Acutally, this weekend I made a cake w/BC and polka dots on the sides, so I just dampened the back of the fondant slightly and it stuck just fine. I usually do not refrigerate so I cannot help you on that aspect, but you should be fine.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 9

When I use fondant on top of butter cream I always use a little piping jell it seams to help.

Molly

LynnZClaire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynnZClaire Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 9

thats all I do, and I've never had a problem. I'm sure it will turn out great icon_smile.gif Have fun!!

JenJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenJane Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 9

I would try not to make the letters to thick and this way they won't be too heavy.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 9

If the letters are not too large, you should have no trouble. If you look at the first two cakes in my photos, both have fondant letters on Indydebi's crusting buttercream. The first (graduation) cake has large rolled fondant letters stuck on with royal icing. The second (Minnie Mouse) cake has cut out letters just stuck on with a little water to dampen the back of the letter.

I never refrigerate my cakes. I don't use fillings that require refrigeration. I live in a very humid climate, and the condensation on refrigerated stuff is horrific.

HTH. Good luck.
Be sure to post your pix.

JaeRodriguez Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks you guys! I didn't think about dampening the backs of the letter I will make sure I do that and I did learn my lesson about putting cakes in the fridge! I can't for the life of me remember why I thought I needed to put them in there! icon_razz.gif haha I'll post my pic! It's for this saturday I'm so excited I am making two karate men to go on top of the cake! I tried to make them a couple weeks ago and one of them didn't survive! lol We'll see what happens!

JaeRodriguez Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 9

I posted pictures of my karate birthday cake! Everyone loved it, I was so happy with it! Thanks for your advice!

JaeRodriguez Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 9

I posted pictures of my karate birthday cake! Everyone loved it, I was so happy with it! Thanks for your advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%