Mood Boards

Decorating By jdconcc Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 3:15pm by jdconcc

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 4

Hello

I'm toying with the idea of using mood boards to help at the design stage with clients. I'm finding my 2d drawings a bit lacking in what I want to get over to the client and thought it might help to create a boards with rough sketches, photos and even fabric samples if that's appropriate.

Does anyone else do this or should I stick to drawing and get practising (I used to be ok at it, but it's one of those things if you don't use it gets rusty). If anyone does any tips would be most appreciated.

Thanks very much
Claire

3 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 4

What is a mood board? I've never heard of it. But it sounds really interesting!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 4

Great idea.

On The Fashion Show--Isaac Mizrahi had a mood board for his line of designer clothing--and there were different fabrics and pictures of styles of clothing and doodads.

I mean I kinda do 'step one' toward a mood board--I ask what words they want their cake to look like, elegant or fun, relaxed or on the wild side and/or whatever. And they pick out elements from cake books. And I give them post it notes and they mark the pages and tag them--I like this border--I like this look, I like this shape, size, color whatever.

The only way I could actually make a board is to photo copy that portion of the design they like and make the board on the spot which is actually a pretty good idea. Don't know if I have that much energy but...it is a great idea. I could tear my books apart too--naw, don't wanna do that.

But that also gives them a chance to chat whilst I busy myself doing the copying...really a very good idea overall.

Food for thought--great idea!

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 4

A mood board is a board that is covered with the ideas so you can suggest different colours, textures, shapes etc... all in place, rather than lots of different sketches.

My thinking is it's easier and less stressful to put a mood board together and present it to the client and then sketch the ideas together at the meeting stage, rather than doing several different sketches before hand (like I do now ) and then ending up with something completely different anyhow.

Plus am worried about losing people due to my rubbish pictures that don't really reflect my cakes. I think this is because I only have a limited amount of cakes for them to choose from and I don't want to be limited to these only.

I will give it ago with my next few cakes and see how it goes. I think it would be useful to keep a scrap folder of cakes I like and patterns etc... so that would make the mood boards easier too.

Thanks for your responses, I love this site, it's all the joys of working from home but still having lots of 'like minded' people to talk to.

Claire x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%