How Do I Make These Decorations??

Decorating By scgriffiths Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 3:52am by scgriffiths

scgriffiths Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:39am
post #1 of 12

Wow, a friend asked me today if I would make this cake for next Tuesday! She's a good friend and orders off me regularly, so I want to do it for her, but with three other orders before then, I just don't have the time to research how I'm going to do it, so was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on these decorations. In particular, the's clear icon_eek.gif And the fish icon_eek.gif I don't know where to start icon_cry.gif Thanks!

11 replies
poohsmomma Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 12

txnonnie Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 12

I think you could use some candy molds to make some of this.

Renaejrk Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 12

It might be pulled sugar? You could probably do something with gelatin, or with the candy mixes you can buy at Hobby Lobby (if they still sell them?) that make the chewy/gummy candy?

OR - make them with white gumpaste/fondant and "paint" them with piping gel.

sadsmile Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 12

Start right now and take on one little piece at a time. The jelly ish don't really look clear. They look like they are painted kind of a grey periwinkle over white. But if they were clear you wouldn't really see them as well and they would relect the color of the cake behind them. The fish on top is ging to be a challenge. I would start with the spines and let those dry hard so while making the body they could be stuck in the right spots.

Cookie4 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 12

Who made the cake? You might want to give them a call, even if it's a bakery they may still give you the answer you need. All I can think of is piping gel with something in it to stiffen it (perhaps Tylos powder), however I've never tried that to see if it hardens. I'm just guessing - good luck! icon_smile.gif

annieluz Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 12

sorry I can't help, but that cake is INCREDIBLE!!!! Good luck! Please post pics after!!

scgriffiths Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks for your replies. I can't get piping gel here, so that's out of the question. Maybe I'll do some experimenting with gelatine and see what I come up with.

cavette Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 12

Quick question..... are the jelly fish edible? I was thinking maybe you could go to a pet supply store and purchase the jelly fish that go in a fish tank! I dont know if you could do that or want to but just thinking.

sadsmile Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 12

The little colerful acrylic figures may be the fastest thing though it would be hard to know if the paint is food safe and lead free.

Evoir Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:08am
post #11 of 12

One thought I had was to experiment with some different lollies (Yes, I am an Aussie too icon_smile.gif )

In particular, I would try rolling out a good 4 inch chunk of one of those gigantic snakes (do you know which ones I mean) and trimming it to form jelly fish tentacles. Use colouring or chocolate for the eyes.

With the fish I would definitely use candy/chocolate moulds, but if you do not have time for that, then make the spiny bits now out of gumpaste and dry properly, then later make the fish bodies, press in the the very dry spiny bits and then dry completely and paint the fish your desired colour.

The other thing I have done in the past is make coloured toffee and used that for translucent butterfly wings...this probably will only work though if you have a flatter 2-D figure to work with, although it might work for your spines if you have a steady hand to squiggle your design onto greased foil.

HTH icon_smile.gif

scgriffiths Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:52am
post #12 of 12

Ah, the gigantic snake is a great idea! I'll hunt around for one tomorrow. I'm about to start playing around with gumpaste, so I might try the fish spikes and see how they look in gumpaste before I go to Plan B!! Thanks, all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%