Let's Talk About Square Cakes

Decorating By Ozzy7388 Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 12:24pm by Loucinda

Ozzy7388 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:41am
post #1 of 5

I did a search on square cakes but nothing came up so pardon me if there is already a thread on this.

I am making my first square wedding cake at the end of July. My pans are supposed to be at my door tomorrow via ups. Since my birthday is coming up in 2 weeks, I figured I could make myself a square cake to get to know how it works and what not.

For the wedding cake, I am using fondant and it's going to be a gift box themed cake, 4 tiers.

How would you suggest icing the cake to get those perfect corners?
(I've done a sheet cake before and I gotta say my corners are not perfect)
How would you go about covering a square cake with fondant?
How do you avoid ripping the fondant on the corners?
Do you cut the corners of the fondant?
(I would assume there would be excess fondant when it meets in the corners)
How would you go about making the gift box tops for the cake?
(again, it's a gift box themed cake)

anyyyyy information and advice is welcome, I need to know everything about square cakes and I am not a newbie to cakes in general so throw me whatever you got to say!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

4 replies
mgigglin Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:51am
post #2 of 5

go to utube and do a search for covering fondant... one of the videos is on a square cake... that's how i learned and it was the best lesson ever! When you lay your fondant on the cake you smooth the top then work on corners then the middles. I did a stacked square wedding cake was a lot of firsts and that video saved my life! Good luck!!

HTH,
Kim

dorie67 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:04am
post #3 of 5

I have covered square cakes with fondant, what I did was roll the fondant and smooth the top just a bit and then worked on the corners to ensure they were right then went about smoothing the sides and top. I think the
"trick" is to making sure you roll the fondant out wide enough to cover the cake without having to tug and pull on it to make sure the entire cake is covered.JMHO princess.gif

dorie67 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:25am
post #4 of 5

I have covered square cakes with fondant, what I did was roll the fondant and smooth the top just a bit and then worked on the corners to ensure they were right then went about smoothing the sides and top. I think the
"trick" is to making sure you roll the fondant out wide enough to cover the cake without having to tug and pull on it to make sure the entire cake is covered.JMHO princess.gif

Loucinda Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 5

aine2 (not sure of the spelling?) has a great utube video on how to cover square cakes - it isn't hard - just get the corners first!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%