Help - Timing Issue - Can I Decorate Then Freeze?

Decorating By nelikate Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 1:05am by nelikate

nelikate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelikate Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:34am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I am a newbie, only decorating seriously since October last year. Anyway I have offered to do my Dad's 60th birthday party cake in August. The only problem is I will be flying back into town at midday for a 7pm dinner party. So I will only have about 4 hours to decorate the cake.

My questions are:
1. can I make and fill and crumb coat the cake 2 weeks in advance and freeze? I will be filling and coating with buttercream or ganache. I will get my sister to defrost the cakes and put them in the fridge the night before.
Then i can ice with butter cream or fondant and decorate on the day.

2. Can I fully decorate with fondant, freeze and defrost the night before? then stack and add the finishing touches on the day?

3. Is there a recommended fondant for freezing?

4. Is buttercream or ganache better for freezing?

any ideas and tips would be appreciated as I think Im way out of my depth on this one.

Nel

3 replies
nelikate Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 4

this is just a quick BUMP

and I noticed no where in my first post did I say Please or Thank you! My mother did teach me manners so I am sorry for this rude oversight.

Please can someone tell me if it is okay to freeze a filled and crumb coated cake and if I should defrost the night before or earlier/later.

And can you freeze a fondant covered cake and defrost the night before or earlier/later.

thank you
Nel

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 4

I think you will get varying responses on freezing fondant but I think generally it's to be avoided. I have done all buttercream cakes before where I have wrapped them well and then frozen them. It's probably what I would do in your situation. You could just get your sister to take it out of the freezer the night before you get home and put in the fridge with the covering still on so that the condensation goes onto the packaging and not the cake.

nelikate Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:05am
post #4 of 4

Thanks Cherrycakes. I think I would feel better freezing buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%