Never Going To Bake On Vacation Again! (Vent)

Decorating By luv2cook721 Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 2:05pm by Cricketlegs

luv2cook721 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:03am
post #1 of 3

Came down to visit my mom for her birthday and said I would make her a cake. I had problems from the moment I started, first my mom's kitchen is too small and woefully under equipped. Her mixer is the same one she used when I was a child (30 yrs ago) and not in great shape. She told me I didn't need to bring cake pans because she had some, but I wished I hadn't listened because what she had was a wreck. I made a small batch of cake release that I use at home without so much as a corner sticking, but huge craters of cake stuck to the pan on each layer. Thought we were gonna have a heat stroke while baking the cake (temps near 100 here and the air conditioning doesn't work that well.) Her almond flavoring was "off" making a whole batch of frosting gross. the heat made the filling and icing much harder to work with. I brought my tips and bags, but didn't think to bring my spreaders because surely everyone has a spreader or two...not my mom. The end result was lopsided (you can't tell in the photo because I turned it just right), but not bad considering all the hurdles, but I will never try to bake in a foreign kitchen again.

2 replies
TJCanadian Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 3

I hope you are able to laugh later, but I really agree. Humidity, heat, ingredients, equipment, oven and baking temps, yikes, just so many things can go wrong. A bit of tempting murphy's law, if you will icon_smile.gif

Cricketlegs Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 3

At least there is an up side! Mamas love EVERYTHING we make lol.

That said, It does sound like you had a rough time of it. Next time, you will be ready.

Quote by @%username% on %date%