Some Decorating Questions From A Newbie

Decorating By idoteech Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 2:35am by CakeMommyTX

idoteech Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone. I've just started baking & decorating some, and I have a couple of questions:

1. First of all, where do you get the large alphabet cutouts that I see many of you use on the bright colored birthday cakes?

2. Where do you get the neat toppers like the stars on the wire, etc.? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

3. I have to do a cake for the first birthdays of two of my little cousins. They are a few days apart so they will have a joint party. I will make them each an individual cake, but do you have any suggestions for a cake that is appropriate for a boy & girl (again, first birthday)?

Thanks so much!

2 replies
KaraBeara Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:21am
post #2 of 3

I am a newbie too. You will love it here.

1. You can get the cutters at a craft store. They sell them in the cake decorating section.

2. I have never used them, but from what I have read, you have to make them yourself.

3. Maybe a cute duck cake using yellow and green as the main colors? There are a lot of great ideas in the galleries.

CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #3 of 3

Hello and Welcome to CC!!!

1. The cutters you can buy at your local craft and/or cake supply store.
You can also check the polymer clay aisle at your craft store as well, they have a lot of tools that can be used for fondant.
Also try Global Sugar Art, they have a excellent selection and good prices.

2. The toppers (beads,stars,flower,etc.) on wire are made buy the decorator.
Simply cut the shape out of gumpaste,fondant,a mixture of the two or fondant mixed with tylose powder (all of these dry harder and quicker then fondant), and let them dry until the are hard.
Heat the end of the wire with a lighter (or flame from a candle) until the wire is hot, insert it into the fondant cut-out,careful not to burn yourself or push it all the way through. Set aside and let it cool.
The heat will melt the sugar and when it cools it will "glue" itself to the wire.
This is how I do it and I've never had a problem with them turning or falling off the wire.
If you want the wires bent or twirled, do it before you add the fondant piece, and make sure you measure before you cut the wire so it it the correct length for you cake.
I use 20gauge stainless steel wire and I insert coffee stirrers into the cake before sticking the wire in. This keeps the wire from cutting through the cake as well as from touching it.
The wire is safe to use but I don't like the idea of sticking any metal in my cakes.

3. For the cakes you can do a primary color theme, this is appropriate for both girls and boys, maybe with some building blocks and big #1 on top of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%