Help About Refrigerating Ganache

Baking By Kristyskreations Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 3:22am by Kristyskreations

Kristyskreations Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 4

I am making my brother's wedding cake in November and he really wants chocolate ganache as a filling. My problem is there will be no way to refrigerate these cakes and I am doing them several days ahead and covering with fondant. I heard you cannot refrigerate a fondant covered cake. Is this true? The cakes will still not be refrigerated at the venue overnight as there are no refrigeration available there. It will be air conditioned inside, but that is about it. Since I don't want to kill any (most) relatives, does the ganache have to be refrigerated?

3 replies
Brownie1954 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:53am
post #2 of 4

You stated that the cake is being done in November....Where do you live?
Will it be cold enough by then where you are? I make truffles with ganache in them and let them sit in their packaging without being in the fridge. I would think that the ganache would stay good in the cake, PROVIDING the cake does not get warm. I don't do a lot of fondant cakes, so I use caution in making any comments about putting a cake in the fridge covered with it. Someon with more experience will have to help you there.

ceshell Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:24am
post #3 of 4

You can put fondant in the fridge, as long as it isn't the most simple MMF recipe (i.e. marshmallows+water). MacsMom has a MMF recipe with added ingredients and she refrigerates it all of the time--every cake, I think she said. Michele Foster's recipe (not MMF) does great in the fridge, as does Satin Ice and most other commercial fondants. The trick with refrigerating fondant is: do not seal it up inside of something that cannot breathe. That's not even a refrigeration issue anyway, it's a trapping-the-moisture issue. I had cupcakes--unrefrigerated--with fondant flowers that went all soggy because I transported them in a plastic cupcake carrier and left 'em sealed inside for too long.

Now...on to ganache. Usually ganache can be left out at least a day, maybe two without refrigeration, presuming you prepared it properly. You may want to do more research on this but I think if it is heavier (such as 2:1 ratio chocolate to cream) it has a longer shelf life. Indeed the inside of truffles is simply ganache, but I believe it's not a 1:1 ratio like we use for icing/filling. So with regard to ganache: it is possible for this to work; if it were me I would still refrigerate the cake as long as humanly possible to extend its life before it sits unrefrigerated for 24 hours.

As for leaving it at the venue overnight without refrigeration, Brownie's questions are valid: what will the temp be like at the venue? I understand there is no refrigeration but what will the room temp be? If it gets cold, will the heat kick on (you would hope the answer would be no)...if it gets hot, some places have the A/C turned off when the room is unoccupied...?? I'm a little concerned about you leaving a cake sitting in an unprotected room, overnight. How will they ensure that no creepy crawlies get in it, and how will they ensure that the general temperature of the room will not under any circumstances exceed "xx" temperature? (whatever that number would be). Not being able to control that environment would worry me a lot, and I'd probably fill my cake with an "officially" nonperishable filling or buttercream icing, if I couldn't control the storage climate.

Just my 2c!

Kristyskreations Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:22am
post #4 of 4

I want to thank you so much for the reply. After discussing with my brother and soon to be sister in law, we agreed about the ganache being out too long. We had already discussed about bringing it the morning of the wedding, so it will be in my house until then. I live in Florida and even though the temp is milder in November than it is now, it can go either way. I think I am just going to try a chocolate buttercream filling and make it really chocolaty. thanks again so much for the input. I am sure as the wedding gets closer there will be more posts from me. Thanks again icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%