Cakes Suddenly Sticking To Pan?!

Decorating By mpetty Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 8:59am by JessLea

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:36am
post #1 of 11

icon_mad.gif My last two cakes have been ruined by sticking to the pan. I greased and floured them like I usually do, one was a doctored mix and the other a scratch (yeah, my first!). Both cakes baked up fine, but for some reason they stuck horribly.

Could it be the no-trans-fat Crisco? Both cakes contained sweetened cream of coconut in the recipe, and they're the only two to stick like this. Could the coconut be the issue?

I thought about lining the bottom with parchment in the future, but the cakes stuck to the side of the pans, too, so that may not help much.

Thanks for your thoughts (and if it's the cream of coconut, that's okay...I checked the label after I added it and discovered that I'd just added 1,000 calories to the cake! icon_surprised.gif )

Time for some cake balls (with rum flavoring added to the bc, and dark chocolate on top. Mmmmm).

10 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:44am
post #2 of 11

Wow. That is so interesting I'd have to test it myself. I'd bake the same cake with the cream of coconut, just to see. My gut instinct is that the coconut is the cause. However, you could line the bottom and sides with parchment to solve this.

AFCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AFCakeBaker Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:02am
post #3 of 11

I don't know if this would be the issue, but I will share. I have never had trouble with my cakes at home....but made my brother's grad cakes at my dad's house and they took forever and were sticky ! I bought a $4 thermometer and found out the oven was off by a LOT ! Can't hurt to throw one in there...and they make great ones that just hang off the rack so they are right in front.

cakecrazy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazy09 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:15am
post #4 of 11

My last several cakes have started sticking to the pan. It's very frustrating. I'm lining the bottom now but the sides are also sticking. I have NOT changed a thing. I'm still using box mix. I'm wondering if the hummidity is causing it. Sorry you are having so much trouble. I feel your frustration.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:27am
post #5 of 11

How long are you waiting to take the cake out of the pan? Maybe that's the issue - letting it sit too long (cool completely) before removing it. Being that it's cream of coconut, I would imagine the cream may be settling to the sides, causing the sticking problem.

I let my cakes sit for about 10 min. then take them out. 99.9% of the time, they come out perfectly (the odd time a small bit will stick, but nothing serious). I leave it upside down for the bottom to cool, then flip onto a cake board.

Trying running a knife around the edge as well, before flipping onto the cooling rack.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:33am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

How long are you waiting to take the cake out of the pan? Maybe that's the issue - letting it sit too long (cool completely) before removing it. Being that it's cream of coconut, I would imagine the cream may be settling to the sides, causing the sticking problem.

I let my cakes sit for about 10 min. then take them out. 99.9% of the time, they come out perfectly (the odd time a small bit will stick, but nothing serious). I leave it upside down for the bottom to cool, then flip onto a cake board.

Trying running a knife around the edge as well, before flipping onto the cooling rack.

I set the timer for mine so I don't forget (yeah okay my memories shot)....

anyway great suggestions and ditto on the oven thermometer it's an awesome investment and so cheap to boot. Oh and have you thought of making some home made cake release (equal parts shortening/oil/flour) and mix well. I think it's in the recipe section as well.

JessLea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessLea Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #7 of 11

I make my own pan grease... and have never had a cake stick... in fact they fall out of the pan when I turn it over icon_smile.gif

1 cup crisco
1cup veg. oil
1 cup flour

Mix it up and put it in a container with a lid keeps for a long time!

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:12am
post #8 of 11

I've made the pan coat JessLee talks about above for the last 20 years without a cake sticking ever! I make a double batch up, then pour into large mason jars and keep in the fridge. Use a pastry brush to coat the pans.

CupCake_Caitlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake_Caitlin Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:01am
post #9 of 11

Never had a cake stick until one day I used the the old method of flour and butter!!

Now I always spray the pan with canola oil spray, and lined the bottom with baking paper! once cooked - I run a knife around the edges (and let it cool only a few mintues, otherwise the cake sweats in the pan and yes it would result in sticking)

BLBW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BLBW Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:23am
post #10 of 11

Just joined this site a couple days ago and just in time! Today I had not one, but TWO cakes refuse to come out of the pan in any salvageable form before I thought to look on here for advice. Cake three just popped out like a dream and I am now referring to this stuff as the "miracle goo"! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

JessLea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessLea Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:59am
post #11 of 11

It is amazing! Anyone who is wondering if it really could work that good I promise you it DOES!!! I would share it with the world if I could! icon_smile.gif glad ya'll are enjoying it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%