Glue And Finishing Fondant

Decorating By KBR61978 Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm by cathie_shinnick

KBR61978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KBR61978 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:03am
post #1 of 4

What do I use for glue when trying to glue my figures together or gluing things to the cake? Also, how do you get all the power off fondant when your done with the cake? Thanks so much for the help....

3 replies
anricat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anricat Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 4

You can use a little water or some royal icing to "glue" pieces of fondant together. I just generally use a little bit of water brushed on.

To get the powder off the fondant, I generally use a slightly dampened pastry brush, but there may be a better way to go about this.

Tracye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracye Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 4

I use tylose mixed with water as my glue. It's clear, so if some seeps out from between the joins, it's not noticeable.

For getting all the cornstarch/powdered sugar off, I brush it with a dry brush. If some is left on there, I "paint" the entire cake with clear alcohol (rum, vodka, gin, lemon extract, clear vanilla), sometimes I mix white or silver luster dust with the alcohol to make the whole cake a little sparkly.

Here's an example:
LL

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 4

If you dont have tylose, you can use a piece of fondant (not colored) melted in just a bit of water. i usually put a gumball size of fondant and 1 T of water in a small bowl and microwave it to get it soft and then just keep mixing until its melted. I like it to be the consistancy of syrup. I also brush my cakes with vodka or lemon extract to get the finished look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%