When You Only Need A Small Amount Of Fondant....?

Decorating By dellswife Updated 9 Aug 2017 , 9:25pm by LizzieAylett

dellswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellswife Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:12am
post #1 of 13

So what do I do when I only need a small amount of fondant.
I make cupcakes a lot and love to use fondant to decorate the cupcakes. (Sometimes just the toppers) but find that buying the fondant at Michaels and only using a small amount dries out the remaining fondant before I can use it. (I like buying the premade for small amounts since I don't have to mess with trying to get the right colour. Especially red and black)

The recipe for MMF or rolled buttercream usually is the same, and makes such a large amount.

Is there a special way to store it? Are there any tips from any of you, something you might do?

THANKS SO MUCH!

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:58am
post #2 of 13

I re-wrap the remaining fondant in the same plastic it comes in, then be sure the lid on the original container is on really tight. I've also stored it in a ziplock bag and make sure it's sealed really well ... I even push the air out.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:08am
post #3 of 13

here is a recipe for a mini-batch of MMF

Marshmallow fondant
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 tbsp water
1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup powder sugar

Place marshmallows in a standard 1 cup measuring cup and push down and pack them in. Place in a microwave safe bowl and add the water. Put in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Just long enough for them to soften and puff up. Take out and stir with a spoon until it is combined well. At this point it looks kind of soupy. Then add the sugar and mix and fold until all is incorporated and it is no longer sticky. I take it out of the bowl when it gets to the point where most of the sugar is incorporated and I knead it in my hands. This takes roughly about 5-7 minutes. Take a fondant roller or a regular rolling pin and roll out just as you would Wilton's fondant. You can get this fondant almost paper thin and it also repairs well. It's cheap, easy to work with, and tastes great too.

***this is not my recipe - I got it from a woman named bunnywoman on w i l t o n.com, I just wanted to make sure that I gave proper credit***

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:13am
post #4 of 13

Yes, that the recipe I use too! Works really great when you only need a small amount and so quick and easy to make. thumbs_up.gif

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:14am
post #5 of 13

Yes, that the recipe I use too! Works really great when you only need a small amount and so quick and easy to make. thumbs_up.gif

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:24am
post #6 of 13

Thats just what i have been looking for.. Thanks for posting it.

dberck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dberck Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks for that recipe! Glad I decided to read this thread!

dellswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellswife Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 13

rharris524~THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!!!!!! I am so happy I asked! I can't wait to try it out icon_smile.gif Thanks again!

angela318 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angela318 Posted 1 Aug 2017 , 5:25am
post #9 of 13

Thanks for the recipe, I love it! I needed a small amount for unicorn horn and ears on 1 cupcake, this is perfect. 

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 1 Aug 2017 , 9:39am
post #10 of 13

I usually use store-bought fondant.  As indydebi says, I wrap it in plastic and then use a vacuum such as seal-a-meal.  It stays soft for a long time.  Any fondant to which I've added CMC is stored separately and it does not keep as long - I just try to add CMC to only the amount needed at the time.

But, the above recipe can certainly be a "save" also when needing only a small amount.  Thanks, rharris524 

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 1 Aug 2017 , 10:21am
post #11 of 13

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Aug 2017 , 1:02pm
post #12 of 13

Since I always make my own fondant, it is nice to have the small recipe, thanks!  However, to answer the original question posted, Walmart sells very small packs of gum paste and fondant in a lot of different colors, made by Wilton.  They also carry a box of mixed colors fondant, with a couple of color schemes from which to choose.  As another poster said, I hate making red or black, so I usually buy them.

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 9:25pm
post #13 of 13

I recently had some left over fondant and no cakes due for a while, so I thought I'd chance it and see how it took to being frozen.  I put it in my freezer (well wrapped) and it stayed there for a couple of months.  Once it was defrosted it was fine for using for decorations (I wouldn't have risked it for covering a cake, but I think it would actually have been ok).  So that's another option for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%