Do You Wonder If The Bride Liked Her Cake?!

Decorating By grammynan Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 12:45am by cylstrial

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if anyone ever hears from the bride about the cake AFTER
the wedding? I've made several dozen wedding cakes and not once have I heard if the cake was 1) good tasting?, 2) did it turn out the way they expected it to look?, 3) bad tasting?, 4) ugly?, 5) anything!!!

Is it wrong of me the want to hear some feedback after the cake is cut and eaten? I just feel like since so much time goes into planning and making the cake, if would be nice to know if the bride liked it. And I'd like to know just as much if they didn't like it!

What do you all think? icon_rolleyes.gif

6 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 7

I always want feedback. I've only done four wedding cakes, and only one bride didn't let me know how it was. Frustrating, but what can you do?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 7

Nope. And for a couple of reasons.

1) When I also do the catering, I'm at the wedding, cutting the cake, and hearing first hand the compliments from the guests and seeing the empty plates (always a good sign!).

2) When it's a drop-n-run cake, no news is good news. Trust me, if there's a problem, they WILL call you!

The post-wedding compliment is nice, but don't hang your hat on 'em.

Before you started doing cakes, did you call the grocery store and tell them how everyone liked the cake they did for Little Jimmy's birthday? I don't.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 7

You know until I got into baking cakes I didn't think about that myself. So, even though it had been 7 years since my wedding, I called the shop and told them how wonderful my cake was and how beautiful it was. She thanked me because she said it's really the unhappy ones they only hear from.
I would also like to know as well.

brookerene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brookerene Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 7

One thing that you can all make as a policy is to send a letter asking the brides about their cakes as a form of feedback. Many businesses do this. Send a folow up letter thanking them for their business with areas designated for comments and review.

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 7

I did a wedding cake for a young couple, and they wrote me a note while they were on their honeymoon and told me how much they loved the cake and how great it tasted. Made my week!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:45am
post #7 of 7

[quote="indydebi"]
When it's a drop-n-run cake, no news is good news. Trust me, if there's a problem, they WILL call you!
quote]

That's pretty much what I was going to say...although not in those exact words. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%