Decorating With Whipped Cream Icing?

Decorating By TxBama Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 12:30am by Annabakescakes

TxBama Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 6

I haven't used whipped cream icing and have a request for a baby shower cake. I only know that it has some kind of picture they want piped on the cake. From what I have read it isn't stabile enough and I worry about the hot weather. Should I just tell them no, or is there any alternative to Whipped icing?

5 replies
robinsnestcakery Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 6

I had an order for a graduation cake this past weekend. I purchased "better cream" it's a non dairy cream that you can frost and tint & do some decorations with, or put buttercream decor on top of.

It does not crust over though so you have to smooth it out the old fashioned way. I was able to purchase it at the bakery counter in the grocery store. You might try that ..... usaribbon.gif best of luck~!

djs328 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 6

I've not used the bettercreme mentioned by pp...I've done lots of whipped cream cakes...(most of mine are WC - take a look at my photos) It is not room temp stable - you will need to fridge it until you are ready to serve it. You can pipe with it, but it is VERY difficult to get any bright, deep, rich colors...When I need to trim w/a more saturated color, I use BC....just beware - the farther in advance you make it, the more bleeding you will have on the cake. Also - fondant & WC do not play nicely together. Chocolate & WC get along just fine. icon_wink.gif

sweetsadiecakes Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 6

what about icing in whipped icing (like bEttercreme) and covering in fondant. Will that work?

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:25am
post #5 of 6

Whipped icing is just too soft to use under fondant. I would stick with buttercream if you're going to use fondant.

And the Bettercreme (Rich's) can be purchased prewhipped at Sam's Club. It's tough to tint it when it's prewhipped, but you can purchase a carton unwhipped online. It does hold up fine at room temperature, although it's imperative to work with it when it's cold. If you feel it starting to get warm, stick it back in your fridge for a few minutes. Take a little break and come back.

And it dark colors will bleed pretty quickly, but as I hear it's for a baby shower, I'm thinking dark colors won't be an issue.

Annabakescakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:30am
post #6 of 6

You can also get the rich's at GFS, if you have one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%