Imbc Vs Smbc...

Decorating By Charmed Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 5:25am by Charmed

Charmed Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 11

I need feedback about Imbc and Smbc. Which one do you like better? Do you find Imbc much sweeter than Smbc? What is you opinion about these icings ....

10 replies
umgrzfn Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 11

Very good question. I was wondering that myself.

PinkZiab Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 11

They are identical in taste and handling. The only difference is the technique used to make them. Also, technically speaking, IMBC is slightly more stable (only marginally though), because an Italian Meringue is the most stable of the meringues. SMBC is easier to make, especially if you're not used to cooking sugar to a specific temperature (or do not have a reliable candy thermometer).

I used meringue-based buttercreams (usually IMBC) almost exclusively. I love them!

cylstrial Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 11

I love SMBC! It's so delicious! I haven't tried IMBC yet though.

mom2abc Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 11

That is exactly why I logged on! Do they soften after being at room temp for a while?

PinkZiab Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 11

Yes they do soften, just as a stick of butter would if left out. They do not crust at all, but you can pipe with them and they'll hold shape except for in the most extremely hot temps.

PinkLisa Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 11

I just experimented with SMBC for the first time. I tried the Martha Stewart recipe -- once with real egg whites and once with pasteurized liquid egg whites. Surprisingly I liked the pasteurized better! I'm happy about that since I feel more comfortable using pasteurized eggs.

Then I tried the recipe in the Confetti Cakes book. I was much too runny. It says to put it in the frig if it's too runny but who needs the extra step.

However, I loved the flavor and texture of all.

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 11

I exclusively use SMBC myself, except had to use shortening based this weekend, but I quickly realized why I switched over to SMBC, and will not be going back to shortening again...anyways, the recipe in here called "The Well Dressed Cake SMBC" is the best I've found so far. There is even a sticky about it, walks you thru the whole process. Delish, to die for, the best ever!

PinkLisa Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks Jamie. That recipe takes a bit less butter and sugar than the Martha Stewart one and more extract. I'll give it a try since I'm searching for "my" recipe of choiceicon_smile.gif

Charmed Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:25am
post #11 of 11

Thank you all thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%