Dry Cake

Decorating By Tammy21122 Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 2:58pm by Tammy21122

Tammy21122 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 9

I made a dance recital cake for a coworkers daughter and it was beautiful...I delivered it on Friday and the recital was Saturday....on Monday she came in and said that the cake was very dry and did not taste very good....I used the WASC recipe like I do with most of my cakes and don't think that I forgot anything. icon_cry.gif I used this for a baby shower cake and they loved it. Now I have a wedding cake to do for Saturday and I am worrying over whether it is going to be dry and tastless too!

8 replies
Cakerer Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 9

First question would be if you think it's possible the cake was really dry....or was the customer hinting around for a freebie? Was it baked long in advance, etc?

If you think it was dry, maybe you should use a simple syrup on your cakes. Even if I think my cakes are nice and moist I ALWAYS add simple syrup just to be sure. If you've never had a problem before and you did everything exactly the same maybe it's just a difference of taste. I personally, do not like the almond flavor so I use something different - maybe the customer is the same. Best of luck on the upcoming cakes.

Tammy21122 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 9

so you pour come simple syrup over the cake before frosting? I personally did not think that it was dry (I tried the top when I leveled it) I offered a refund and she declined so I don't know...I did use the almond so maybe she is like you and doesn't care for it

Cakerer Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 9

I usually have a batch of simple syrup prepared in the fridge. I personally use equal parts sugar and water and heat in the microwave until incorporated really well. I've heard it really should turn into syrup; however, mine doesn't usually get syrupy. Maybe I don't cook it long enough but once the sugar is melted, I stop. I add flavoring and use that. I just spoon it over my cakes. BUT - don't over saturate your cake - especially if it will be covered in fondant.

Almond is a strong flavor (to me) so maybe even ask the lady if it was the flavor that was the problem. If she was bold enough to actually say 'it didn't taste good' I'm sure she would give you details if you would like (did it taste like flour, was it too sugary, etc). Maybe offer to make her a small cake of a different flavor since she didn't accept a refund.

beachcakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 9

I had a few people complain when i used to scratch bake. Cakes weren't dry - it was more a texture thing. I switched to WASC and never heard that comment again. Maybe it's the texture she didn't like?

helen3743 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:10am
post #6 of 9

Cakerer - I'm sorry, but can you explain why you shouldn't oversaturate your cake with syrup, especially if it'll be covered in fondant?
Will it make the cake too soft and not good for stacking?
<- newbie here

newmansmom2004 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:18am
post #7 of 9

I'd definitely go with the simple syrup. You can either squeeze it on using a bottle like the plastic ketchup bottles, or brush it on with a pastry brush. You don't have to flavor it if you don't want to, but if you're doing a WASC cake you might choose a flavor that complements the flavor of the cake, but I wouldn't do more almond flavor. I think that's the biggest reason I don't like WASC cake - but you can use a little vanilla in the simple syrup or just leave it plain. It's not going to alter the flavor of your cake if you just leave it plain.

aliciag829 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #8 of 9

I dab my simple syrup on with a pastry brush. Yes, if you use too much, it will get too soggy. I level the tops of my layers and the cake absorbs the simple syrup nicely into the cut side.

Tammy21122 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all for your valuable input.....I will give it a try with the wedding cake that is due this weekend for my daughters friend. Gotta love a place where you have so much invaluable ideas and people...thank you thank you icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%