Fondant Q

Decorating By swritik Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 9:13pm by lejess

swritik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swritik Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 8

i did a cake this past weekend and i used new fondant satin ice. To tell you the truth i really didnt like it. I like wilton better and satin ice i dont like the taste.

So anyhooo, i did my cakes, buttercreamed them, covered them in fondant and put them in the fridge for the night so in the morning i will just put final details.

My Q is why was it when i took the cake out, the fondant started to be sticky and just sweating?

thanx
R.

7 replies
swritik Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 8

also i forgot to say it gives air bubbles when i roll it out?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 8

Hi, that is the main reason I don't put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge. When you take it out it gets sticky and guee from the condensation. But I know loads of decorators put their cakes int he fridge, and they say just to leave the cakes without touching once you take the cakes out of the fridge, for it to come to room temperature.

What did you use to roll out your fondant. I always use cornstarch and sometimes, shortening. icon_smile.gif

kamikaze_fish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kamikaze_fish Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 8

I'm guessing it has to do with location. In a high humidity area, the cake will sweat and could potentially melt the fondant, depending on the amount of condensation build up. I've also heard of fondant having air bubbles when rolling it on and that could be caused by rolling it onto a cold cake (if that was the case) or from other reasons I'm not aware of (I'm really new and only reciting stuff I've read at this point). Many people have suggested poking a hole in the fondant with a needle to work the air bubble out.

swritik Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 8

you know i dont know, maybe it is best to decorate it complitly and then put it in the fridge after you take it out not to touch it and just leave it till the party.

Because i was still putting stuff on it and it was sticky and sweating, but by the time of the party it was normal.

I use shortening. See i did everything i do when i use wilton fondant and it never happened before with wilton.
So i dont know if i will use satin ice again.

Rita

lejess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lejess Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 8

Hi! I'm new to cake decorating, only been at it for about 6 months or so, but my mentor told me never ever to put a fondant cake in the fridge. She works exclusively with Satin Ice. Thats all I've been working with too. I have worked with Wilton Fondant before, but I hate the taste!
As for the air bubbles, I believe another person mentioned using a needle to poke the air bubbles, and I have to agree, that works the best.

I've also had the best results for rolling it out, by using a dusting pouch filled with 2 tbsp corn starch and 2 tbsp powdered sugar. In my limited experience using just CS or just PS doesnt work as well as the combo.

My only thing, since I am new to this, is I love buttercream made from scratch (not that "buttercream" canned stuff) and you cant put fondant in the fridge, but buttercream needs to be refrigerated. So how does that work?!
icon_biggrin.gif

swritik Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 8

BC does not need to be refrigerated, i only think if you use butter or cream cheese, milk. I use shortening and confection sugar, and water, vanilla.

I did try to use butter, but i didnt like it that much.

As for fondant, i watch shows on Tv and they always put finished cakes in the fridge.
How could they not, i mean they dont finish the cake the same day if they have 5 cakes due or more.

Rita

lejess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lejess Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 8

Rita....
I use the same recipe for BC, but when making it with non-transfat shortening you have to use milk instead of water. Dont get me wrong, I am not a stickler about trans-fat, but I bought this giant tub of Crisco, got it home, realized it didnt have transfat and the so, you have to replace the fat with milk.

Also, my cake mentor person leaves her fondant cakes out---which is where I got that from.
I have left mine out for up to 3 days and they still tasted great, not dry or anything. As long as its filled and covered in fondant, it stays moist. At least so far in my limited experience. I havent tried leaving them out longer than 3 days though.

I hope this doesnt come across as cocky or know-it-all, Im really just going by what I've been taught so far. Thats why I joined this site, to learn more! And things can be misconstrued online. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%