Smoothing Buttercream

Decorating By armywifey09 Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 8:00pm by Littlebit0302

armywifey09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifey09 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 8

HI, I am new to the cake decorating world, my friend and I are trying to make practice cakes and work on different techniques. We seem to have fondanting down. But trying to smooth the buttercream on the cake seems to ellude us. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or ideas for us.
Thanks a million in advance.

Shawna and Kirsten

7 replies
1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 8

what type of buttercream recipe are you using? Some just don't crust so they are harder to smooth than others. If you allow it to crust - about 8-10 minutes then smooth with a smooth viva paper towel and a fondant smoother - that works great. You can also look at the how-to's on this website and look at the Melvira method - it works great too!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 8

Hi, I agree with wendyintx. It will be much easier to smooth if you have a crusting buttercream.

Here is a link from Serious cakes buttercream recipe video.

You need to try different methods and choose what's best for you.

icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 8

I use the Viva paper towel method also. Ive tried using a hot knife but for me, the paper towel method works best. Another youtube video is how to ice a cake smooth by tonedna1.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 8

Sharon Zambito's BC DVD is great. It shares how to make the buttercream and her recipe. She demonstrates how to ice the cake and smooth it perfectly. (Both round and square cakes)

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 8

You need to make sure you are using a crusting buttercream recipe, you can find plenty of them here. I use the Viva Paper towel method and it works great. I also tried using the warm spatula this weekend with crusting chocolate buttercream and then the viva paper towel and that worked well also.

One thing I have learned and I (personally) think it's the trick, don't mix air into your frosting. I was trying to explain this to a friend I was helping this weekend. So we made two batches, one regular following the recipe, and then one double, allowing the paddle blade of my mixer to be under the frosting. When it was all mixed they were both smooth, but the double batch, the one that had less air, was the best one and she was able to visually see the difference.

But, you just have to work with them and find the one that you like and that works for you.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 8

Hi, I think tonedna1 video on youtube will help. You can see how she gets her buttercream on and how she smoothes it. Very easy not too many supplies. I love her videos they are very helpful. She also shows you how to stack her cakes.

Littlebit0302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Littlebit0302 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:00pm
post #8 of 8

I use a small foam paint roller.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%