My First Wedding Cake Disaster

Decorating By teal Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm by __Jamie__

teal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teal Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 6

I'll add my cake disater! icon_lol.gif

I've been baking since I was little and I love making cakes, cookies and baking in general so when I made a joke about the cake being the only thing left to bring to my dad's wedding they though it was a good idea and it was decided I would make one. (a casual back yard wedding where instead of gifts everyone brought something like food or a bottle, ended up being a great wedding)

So when the wedding started getting close I asked my step mom what flavour cake she wanted. Keep in mind during our first conversation she wanted "just a cake".

Her responce - 'A multilayered strawberry short cake with real whipped cream"

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Ummm...what...!!???

So long story short I made one. 3 tiered, double layers, filled with fresh strawberries and smoothered in real whipped cream.

It looked amazing if I do say so myself....

for the first hour. icon_rolleyes.gif

By the time I got there the whipped cream was (of course) starting to soften and it didn't look so hot. The bride freaked, she actually left the room. The bridesmaid came in and stuffed a whole bunch of fresh flowers in it and the bride still hated it and wanted them out.
Which of course made it look 100x times worse then when it came in.
At one point she even said to someone that I did it intentionally because I didn't want her marrying my father.(I wont even get into the rest of what was said) Ummm, what did she expect with whipped cream for icing!!

She refused to serve it but her daughter said it had to be served so she took it out against her mothers wishes after I had smoothed the icing the best I could.

Once it was out there was no problems though. Everyone raved about it and I actaully had a few people ask if I would consider making a cake for them.

After that horrible experince though I was pretty sure I would never make another one. icon_razz.gif

5 replies
confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 6

Well, first let me say "Welcome to CC!" Second, I'm sorry about the mishap with the wedding cake. At least here at CC, we can all relate one way or another here, share our advice, encourage each other and cheer for (or commiserate with) our fellow CCer's...in other words, you're in good company! Hope you like it here...just stay away from the whipped cream! LOL icon_lol.gif

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 6

Sorry you had such a bad experience since it was your Dad's wedding. Sounds like there was some othere issues beside the cake. Did you explain to the bride that real whipped cream would do that if left out for any time? Even if it was indoors you would have had the icing melting because if was real whipped cream. The only thing you could have used was the whipped bettercream icing. That is stable and would have held up. I hope you continue to do what you love and keep making cakes. I also hope this is not a sign of more issues to come from the bride.

teal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teal Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the kind words and welcome!

This looks like a great place!! icon_biggrin.gif

And yes there were some underlying issues and it was, sadly, a sign of things to come. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm really just getting back to baking, I was so busy and that was such a flop that I was turned off it for a while, but I've been getting back into it and my friend has just asked me to make her a small wedding cake so I'm going to give it another try! thumbs_up.gif

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 6

You go girl! And don't forget to post your pics - we like to see and go "oohh, awwww" over them icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 6

Oh yeah....strawberries+moisture=disaster!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%