Help Girls!!!! Cookies With Candy Melts Anyone?

Baking By silvina69 Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm by shannonann

silvina69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silvina69 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 25

Hello girls!!!!!!! I've never baked a cookie before and I have this idea....maybe you guys can help me and tell me if it possible!!

First I need a delicious recipe for a cookie... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

then I want to decorate them with Candy Melts, is this possible?

and if it is does any have a Tip?

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

24 replies
cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 25

I've only used candy melts to dip cookies.

I've done them with spritz cookies and I also used them for my cornmeal sugar cookies that I cut with a heart shape cookie cutter. I just dipped them half way.

Someone else may have more experience with flooding with them. I would think it could be done, you just have to be pretty quick to get a nice smooth base or do a small size cookie.

Any roll out cookie should work fine!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 25

I don't know if candy melts would work on cookies but you can try!! The NFSC (No fail sugar cookie recipe) is excellent for cookies that are icied with royal icing etc...It is located in the recipe section here on CC....

silvina69 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 25

Thank you so much Girls!!!!!!!!!! I will try!!!!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 25

I have put chocolate on cookies by placing a candy melt on top as soon as the cookie comes out of the oven. Aftre a few minutes, you can spread the melted candy coating to ice the cookie. Haven't tried any complicated designs, but for "just icing", it works nicely.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 25

Check out the book "The Artful Cookie" by Aaron Morgan. If memory serves, he has a section in the book on decorating cookies using CandyMelts. All in all, it's a nice little book!

silvina69 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 25

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I FOUND THE BOOK AND IT'S PERFECT! THEY HAVE A FEW PAGES TO READ AND SAMPLE, AND I GOT ALL THE INFORMATION THAT I NEED IT!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 25

Where did you find the sample pages? I have been wanting to do something like this too!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 25

We use candy melts in the cookie class that I teach -- we make peppermint patties out of them and also use the chocolate to outline and flood pix on cookies proper.

pamconn Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:04am
post #10 of 25

bobwonderbuns,

do you just melt the candy melts and then use them or do you need to add anything to that? After the outline and flooding can you add any details with the chocolate? Or will they break off?

TIA

pamconn Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:05am
post #11 of 25

bobwonderbuns,

do you just melt the candy melts and then use them or do you need to add anything to that? After the outline and flooding can you add any details with the chocolate? Or will they break off?

TIA

pamconn Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:06am
post #12 of 25

bobwonderbuns,

TIA

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:59pm
post #13 of 25

I just use the candy melts and LorAnn oils and the paramount crystals. You can outline and flood if you like but for these I just dunk and let set.

pamconn Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 25

Thank you.

pamconn Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:56pm
post #15 of 25

Thank you.

pamconn Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:57pm
post #16 of 25

Thank you.

pamconn Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:06pm
post #17 of 25

Thank you.

pamconn Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #18 of 25

Thank you.

pamconn Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #19 of 25

Thank you.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:00pm
post #20 of 25

I have used candy melts numerous times to decorate cookies (see my piggy pop...it's all candy melts. The cookie bouquets are iced in royal and the outlines are done in candy melts). I can't say it's easy though. Lately I have been having melting issues with the candy melts, and it's definitely not easy to flood a completely smooth surface (again see the piggy pop!). I used the little mini squeeze bottles they sell at AC Moore. I do have to admit that I prefer royal icing just because it's so much easier to control.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:02pm
post #21 of 25

I have used candy melts numerous times to decorate cookies (see my piggy pop...it's all candy melts. The cookie bouquets are iced in royal and the outlines are done in candy melts). I can't say it's easy though. Lately I have been having melting issues with the candy melts, and it's definitely not easy to flood a completely smooth surface (again see the piggy pop!). I used the little mini squeeze bottles they sell at AC Moore. I do have to admit that I prefer royal icing just because it's so much easier to control.

shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:37pm
post #22 of 25

I add melted white chocolate candy melts to the cookie glaze recipe and it is really good. You outline, flood, and decorate just like with royal icing or glaze.

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:47pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonann

I add melted white chocolate candy melts to the cookie glaze recipe and it is really good. You outline, flood, and decorate just like with royal icing or glaze.

That sounds great! Do you have a recipe or a ratio that you use?

Nancy_TX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancy_TX Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:02pm
post #24 of 25

I decorate cookies with candy melts all the time - yummy! The absolute easiest way is to make candy clay out of the candy melts (add 1/3 C light corn syrup to about 12 oz. of the melted candy melts, mix well, then turn it out on plastic and let it set up about 15 minutes. Then you can wrap it up and use it when you need it - heat it up on 50% power in the microwave for a few seconds). You can roll it out and cut it with the same cookie cutter you used for the cookies, then decorate with more cut outs as if it were fondant. And you don't even have to color it since candy melts come in so many fun colors.
LL

shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm
post #25 of 25

I would love to share! I found this recipe on the Wilton discussion boards.

Cookie/Petit Four Icing

Blend together well with mixer:
2 lbs. powdered sugar
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1/2 c. water + more for thinning as needed
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla (or flavoring of choice)
1/4 tsp. salt

When smooth add:
1/4 pound melted candy melts

Again, mix until well blended, always at low to medium low speed. Pour generously over cake squares or cookies placed on a rack. You can also use icing to draw, paint, outline, flood or add detail on cookies or cakes. It dries so that the cookies/cakes can be stacked and bagged. But when eaten they are still soft on the inside, unlike royal icing.

Store in frig.

If doing two coats on petit fours let the first coat dry completely. Let the icing set before adding other decorations or they will slide off.

Because of the candy melts in this recipe I use the Make n Mold colors or the CK powdered colors. I'm not sure if you can use regular paste colors. If anyone tries the regular paste colors please let me know how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%