How To Secure Heavy, Heirloom Topper?

Decorating By tinygoose Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 11:20pm by jimandmollie

tinygoose Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 15

I have a request for a 6", 9", 12" round wedding cake. The bride wants to use her grandmothers wedding topper, so this can't fall over. They are ceramic and sort of heavy. The cake will be a SMBC finish.

Do I need internal supports for this? How do I make sure they stay on the cake w/o any chance of tumbling over, they are very tall and narrow? The man weighs in a 5oz the lady at 3oz. The lady I can stick a dowel in the bottom she's hollow, will that hold her? but the male figure is solid. What do you all do? I just can't have this fall over.

14 replies
Rylan Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 15

Of course you would need internal supports it you want to make sure. How about putting a board under SMBC for the top tier? Not the best idea but hey.

txnonnie Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 15

Definitely do not put on until the last possible moment. Yes support underneath the figures.

tinygoose Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnonnie

Definitely do not put on until the last possible moment. Yes support underneath the figures.

But how? I was thinking maybe bubble straws with a dried hard round piece of gumpaste on top? Will it soften on SMBC, after 4-5 hours?

Cakeboard, wrapped in plastic or wax pp, covered in fondant? It's a 6" so SPS doesn't make a 4" support, that would be overkill anyway. Thanks. Here's the pic.
LL

txnonnie Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 15

I would make a cardbord covered in fondant supported by either the bubble straws or dowels.

CCCTina Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 15

I have never tried this, but how about gluing them with lots of royal icing to a masonite cake board the same size as the top tier. Then flooding the exposed board with royal also and giving it a few days to dry well. Then sit that on the top tier again glued with royal icing ansd supported with dowels. Depending on design, you could put crystal beaded ribbon around the perimeter of the board on top so they fall down the side of the top tier and do the same on the bottom board of the biggest layer. It would add some bling! Otherwise a matching ribbon or icing border will disquise toe board too. How sweet that they want to use the grandmother's topper.

indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 15

This cake http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1386274 has a cardboard laying on top of the middle tier, then I iced the whole thing, covering the cardboard. The silver stand then sat on the cardboard, which was supported by dowels.

txnonnie Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 15

indydebi -- I love the stand. Beautiful cake as well.

tinygoose Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

This cake http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1386274 has a cardboard laying on top of the middle tier, then I iced the whole thing, covering the cardboard. The silver stand then sat on the cardboard, which was supported by dowels.

Thanks Debi & everyone! Debi did you cover the cardboard with anything to prevent it from getting soft?

jimandmollie Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:12pm
post #10 of 15

How are you with tools? icon_lol.gif

This is a little pic of what I would do:

I would screw everything together with plywood and wooden dowels and then roll out fondant, poke a hole in it to go over the top dowel and then cover the base with it. Does that make sense? Your fondant can be a little messy around the base of the top dowel because the topper will cover it.

It may be overkill but I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for breaking an heirloom topper! This sucker wouldn't go anywhere! Hope that helps!

grama_j Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 15

Something I use to hold things securely, is the wax that you wrap the bottom of a "wobbly" candle before you put it in the holder.... It comes in a package of about a dozen, and runs about a dollar....I would put a bead of that around the bottom of each figurine before sitting it on the cardboard....... it WILL work...... it has never failed me....

indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:38pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Thanks Debi & everyone! Debi did you cover the cardboard with anything to prevent it from getting soft?

No. I put cardboard between cakes all the time. I never cover them. I cut most of my wedding cakes and I can tell you from personal experience that they are not made of rice paper, they dont' get soggy, they dont' turn to mush, they dont' react like a sponge. They look "wet" from the moisture from the cake, but that's it. They hold up just fine.

DianeLM Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:38pm
post #13 of 15

The thing that worries me is how top heavy and wobbly the figures will be. Securing them to a board won't guarantee that the whole board with figures won't come toppling down if there's a little 'oops' - such as the bride and groom cutting the cake!

I like jimandmollie's idea of creating a 'table' that you could press into the top tier. But first, glue the figures to the board with royal icing so they're nice and secure.

grama_j Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm
post #14 of 15

" The thing that worries me is how top heavy and wobbly the figures will be. Securing them to a board won't guarantee that the whole board with figures won't come toppling down if there's a little 'oops' - such as the bride and groom cutting the cake! "

Then I would suggest putting the figurines NEXT to the cake somehow....There IS no, replacing them, and no amount of I'M SOOOO SOORRY is going to help....

jimandmollie Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 11:20pm
post #15 of 15

I just wanted to add that I am not a professional so my advice may not be good. Use it at your own risk! icon_lol.gif That is just what I would do. I also like grama_j's advice about the wax. I think I would prob do that as well as putting them on my "table." But then again, i am just paranoid! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%