Cover For A Cakeboard

Decorating By jlkallred Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 3:19pm by Unlimited

jlkallred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlkallred Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 10

Where can I get the pretty paper that people use to cover their cakeboards? All I can find is a light silver color...
Thanks!

9 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 10

I've never ordered from them, but I remember someone suggesting this website: http://www.wineandcake.com/browse.cfm/cake-decorating/cake-foil-for-cake-boards/2,1238.html

Hope it helps!

lamariposa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lamariposa Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 10

I bought some silver wrapping paper (from Wal-Mart) to cover some of my boards. It was really cheap and it looked really nice.

JGMB Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 10

I think you just have to be really careful that whatever you use is known to be food-safe. Otherwise, it could contain something harmful that would leach up into the cake. So, I'm not sure that ordinary wrapping paper would qualify.

lamariposa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lamariposa Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 10

I guess I thought it would be fine since the cakes were not sitting directly on the paper. icon_confused.gif

JGMB Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 10

Oh, sorry, I didn't understand that you had used an additional board for the cake to sit on!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:42am
post #7 of 10

If you'd like lots of foil color choices, go to your local florist or floral supply... you'll be amazed!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:31am
post #8 of 10

I use a lot of scrapbook paper or wrapping paper with clear contat paper over that. It can be a little tricky lining up the patterns on scrapbook paper, but it works. There's a bunch of examples in my photos...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:39am
post #9 of 10

The cake decorating shops here all sell the foil in different colors. One sells by the roll and the other by the foot.

I usually use wrapping paper covered in plastic wrap, with the cake sitting on a different board on top, or I use fondant. I usually save all of my fondant scraps and use them up on a cake board that needs to be a dark color (so I can mix a bunch of colors together then color them the dark color). I almost always make a pattern in the board, either with the wilton purple rolling pin with the spirals, or rubber stamps or cookie cutters.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

The cake decorating shops here all sell the foil in different colors. One sells by the roll and the other by the foot.

The difference that I've found is preference in the quality... I LOVE the floral foil because it's thick, double-sided with plastic in between the layers and you cannot accidentally rip or tear it. It's also reversible which comes in handy say if you run out of gold foil, gold is on the reverse side of red. Maybe you think you'll never need green foil, so you don't buy a roll but now you wish you had green... it's on the opposite side of your white foil. Nice variety of patterns too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%