Could Really Use Some Help With A Game Plan...

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 28 May 2010 , 4:57pm by believer

Misdawn Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 9

Ok so I have a lady who would like me to make a Brobee cake from the Nick Jr. cartoon callled Yo Gabba Gabba. "No problem," I tell her. Then she would also like me to make a 6-8" smash cake of Brobee's head for the birthday girl. "Sure!" I say.

So I know how I want to do everything except his face. Because I'm doing two cakes of the same character, I feel like they really need to be identical. I really want these cakes to go well because this women could really get me a lot of business. (She's very active in local community.) So here's my conundrum: do I pipe his face on in buttercream? or, do I make it in fondant? or, do I do FBCT? I'm not really great at piping but it's doable. The lady didn't say that she wanted fondant, but she didn't say she liked it either. The cake in the picture is done with star tips, and she did say that she didn't want star tips. She'd like him to look like he has real 'fur'. So I plan to use the grass tip for that. But what about that darn face?...So I'm stumped....advise please?

P.S. I don't know where the lady got this photo, so if this is your cake, please PM me and I will give credit where credit is due. Thanks!
LL

8 replies
lynda-bob Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 9

I like doing faces w/ fondant pieces sometimes and his looks pretty easy. You could look up a pic of him and size it on the computer to print appropriate sizes for each cake. Then cut them out like a template. Your cakes will look similar and very clean, I think. icon_smile.gif

BeesKnees578 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 9

I would do the eyes, mouth, and other facial features in fondant or candy melts. . .it's only a little even if she didin't want it.

If she seems a little miffed, just tell her that in order to get the look that you'd be happy with leaving your home/store, it had to be done in fondant. You can't be putting work out there that is not up to your own standards. You wouldn't want a potential customer at the party thinking "It's nice, but the face could've been a little neater..."

PS. . .More importantly, how many days til New Moon????? Can't wait!!! Only upset to see that they switched Jacobs on us.

fabulosity Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 9

I would probably do the face on a round in buttercream since they want it to be a smash cake. If it is fondant...it doesn't seem like it would be as much fun for them to smash. I think that I would use the same grass tip and do buttercream or color flow for the eyes, brow, nose and mouth...or just that part could be molded from fondant. With those red things added to the top, it would be unmistakable who it was. thumbs_up.gif

Good Luck and post some pics.

fabulosity Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578

PS. . .More importantly, how many days til New Moon????? Can't wait!!! Only upset to see that they switched Jacobs on us.

Not to steal the thread...but I am dying over here! I can't WAIT!

BTW...with all the muscle that Jacob has put on, I am thinking of switching sides. LOL! icon_lol.gif

Misdawn Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 9

Hey Bees Knees....there's 150 days. Replace Jacob? Huh? Where?

fabulosity Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 9

They talked about replacing him, because in the book he is suppose to have grown like a foot and put on so much muscle. So, the actor has put on like 30 pounds of muscle to keep his role...he looks fab. Plus, he cut that hair...thank God...and is looking pretty hot. icon_cool.gif

Misdawn Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 9

Oh I knew that...I thought you meant that they got someone else to play Jacob.

believer Posted 28 May 2010 , 4:57pm
post #9 of 9

MISDAWN, CAN YOU GIVE ME CUTTING INSTRUCTION AND SIZE OF CAKE FOR YOUR BROBEE. I HAVE A ORDER FOR A BROBEE IN JULY. THANKS

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%