Servings Making Me Crazy!

Business By saberger Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm by sari66

saberger Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 9

HELP!!!! WHY is this driving me crazy??? I want to have a base price for ALL cakes based on servings - whether it be wedding or party cakes. I came up with a price per serving for standard flavors and for gourmet flavors. Easy, right?

Now here is my NEW problem. I wanted to use the Wilton Party servings as my base for the # servings for each cake. Then I come across Cake Boss and there is something different there, and then I think it is based on Earlene's chart, and then I search different websites and it is different and then the local competition has something completely different! I am SO CONFUSED!!!!

I am trying to be very business about this and getting lost in the meantime. The competition sells a 10" round for $45 and figures 20-22 servings. Cake Boss has figures it at 30 servings; Wilton figures 28 servings. How do I charge $75 (starting price)for the same cake?!?!

I was originally going to charge separate prices for plain celebration cakes vs. wedding cake but that ended up biting me in the a$$, so I had decided on the per serving way.

Please offer me your advice. I would like to know what you do and what serving guide.

My DH suggested that I inform a client that I portion my servings bigger therefore you can get x# of servings per cake....if you want to cut smaller pieces, then you can get y# of servings. But i only charge for x#. But that STILL doesn't solve the number of servings because competition figures LESS servings for some cakes than I do.

Does this make sense?

8 replies
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 9

I use the wilton wedding chart TO DETERMINE MY PRICING! A 10" round serves 38 and that's how I figure my pricing. They can cut it in 50 pieces or they can cut it in 2 pieces ... makes no difference to me. I tell them "It will serve 25-35, depending on how you cut it."

Are mine higher than the local bakery or grocery? Yep! Am I fretting over it? Nope!

Pick a chart......go by that chart only ..... set your pricing..... in ink ..... boom. You're done.

kelleym Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 9

It doesn't matter which one you use, just pick one you like and stick with it.

Yes, the CakeBoss chart is based off Earlene's. However, many people here use the Wilton wedding chart. Depending on who's cutting the cake, you can get 2 servings or 40 out of it, so there is no REAL TRUE CUTTING CHART FOR CAKES.

Just pick the one you like and run with it. icon_wink.gif

saberger Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks. Just curious, do you base your prices on a per serving and keep it the same for all cakes? Whether it be wedding or celebration?

indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

Thanks. Just curious, do you base your prices on a per serving and keep it the same for all cakes? Whether it be wedding or celebration?

Yes. I dont' care what you call it, it's the same work, the same cake, the same expense. And I find birthday moms take up more of my time than a bride; birthday cakes can be more ornate than wedding cakes; birthday cakes are more of a PITA for me than a big 'ole wedding cake.

And I will NOT deal with the client who wants to try to snowball me with the "Shhhh! We'll just tell her it's a birthday cake instead of a wedding cake and then we'll get it cheaper!" I think this stuff perpetuates the industry legend of "Using the "W" word will cause the price to go up" and makes all of us look bad and causes all of us to have to work harder to justify our work value. I just choose not to be one of those people who prove the legend true. I just choose not to have that reputation.

I have a problem understanding the logic I read on this site from people who offer larger portions for birthdays and charge LESS money for them! icon_confused.gif If you're offering 50% more cake per serving, then shouldn't you be charging 50% more for the cake, not 50% LESS?? icon_confused.gif And if it's priced right ($3/serving for wedding servings of 1x2x4 = 8 cubic inches) and $4.50 for party servings of 1.5x2x4 = 12 cubic inches), then the price of the cake comes out the same every time. So what's the point?

saberger Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks Indydebi! I really DO hope I have a chance to meet you someday! icon_smile.gif

Misty9448 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 9

I have just started making cakes for the public and I agree it is very hard to decide what to charge. I want to charge enough that I will make some money but I do not want to charge to much that people will go somewhere else. Starting this business has been stressfull but I love baking and decorating cakes I could do it 24/7. I hope to get past the pricing thing soon.

indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty9448

I want to charge enough that I will make some money but I do not want to charge to much that people will go somewhere else.

Pricing is the hardest thing any of us go thru. But .... "The race to the bargain basement is an easy race to win ... and it's one you don't WANT to win."

My price is higher than a lot of bakeries around here (but I dont' charge for any of the extra's, so not sure how it all pans out once the final total is tallied).

I've shared this story before, but I had a lady who had 3 quotes in front of her .... $130, $250 and $350. She bought my $350 cake. I had a bride who was doing some good comparision shopping. She narrowed it down to me and one other baker. Other baker was HALF of my price. She bought my cake.

Price is not always the determining factor.

sari66 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 9

I agree pick a chart then stick to it.. charging different prices for your cakes is unnecessary as like debi says you're doing the same work, so cost out how much it takes to make your cakes, check prices in your area and then you'll know what to charge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%