San Francisco And Williamsburg Virginia, Need Advise

Lounge By Ursula40 Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 5:55am by deanna_cake

Ursula40 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:04am
post #1 of 9

Hi our vacation to the states has to be changed, as my husband will not be able to come along, long story, don't get me started on it.(it is workrelated nothing else) We had to scrap cruising California in a cabriolet for 2 weeks.
I need advise on what I can do in S.F for 4 days starting the 4th of july with a 12 yr old girl. After that we will be going to Williamsburg to visit my sister. Any good shops for clothes (my daughter is slim with looooong legs and I can't get anything here in China for her anymore), anything interesting for her to see (bad enougth her Dad can't come with us ), any interesting cultural activities? What do preteens do in S.F, which malls are "in" right now?
For me I would be interested to know, whether there are any cake shops either in S.F or near Williamsburg(supplies)

In effect, how can I keep our daughter occupied and interested and her thoughts off our having to scrap the most interesting vacation we ever planed (and already fully booked)

8 replies
sweetsbycheryl Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 9

Williamsburg has alot to offer- Colonial Williamsburg is great for learning about the early history of the United States. Busch Gardens offers alot for a teen to do (amusement park), plus the added bonus of learning about different cultures of the world. There is a really good outlet mall out near Colonial Williamsburg as well (Prime Outlet Mall). Busch Gardens also has a great waterpark. Williamsburg is one of our favorite places to vacation. Have fun!!

Ursula40 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 9

Grin our daughter was born in Korea, lived in Indonesia, is a Hong Kong resident and now lives in Shanghai China. By birth she is a German citizen and has seen Austria, Switzerland as well as Germany. Actually I would like her to see what other teens do in the states, where can I shop for her, what do normal teens at that age do. Here we live in a compound, so she goes to school whole dya then is stuck in a compound. Different cultures, I think is not actually what she needs to see, she is a seasoned traveller. Problem is I can't get any clothes for her here, because she inherited (thank God) my husbands legs and not my stumps. Unfortunately there is not much to do and see here, what teens need, so I was hoping to offer her something else and completely different 9now that we won't be going to Disneyland or HOLLYWOOD (yes she is star struck) Williamsburg my sister knows, Busch Gardens is already in the works. I love Williamsburg (went there two years ago, beautiful and quaint) Do you live there as well? Anything cake related for me to see and go to (yes my daughter will have to suffer one day)

sweetsbycheryl Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 9

No, I don't live there, I live about three hours away. We try to get there every other year to visit. As far as cake shops go, The only store that I know of that carries any kind of cake supplies is Williams-Sonoma on the outdoor shopping area in Colonial Williamsburg. I don't go downtown while I'm there, so sorry I'm not much help there. I typically tend to stay up near the tourist-type areas. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Ursula40 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 9

Is No one in San Francisco who can give me any leads? Advise on what to do with a 12 yr old girl and shopping leads for cake stuff?

paulstonia Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:35am
post #6 of 9

I San Francisco make sure you go to the exploratorium. There is a sensory deprivation exhibit that is really cool. You go through it in the dark, have to feel your way through. Then go back through with light to see where you were. Plus tons of other exhibits. We live about 45 mile outside of the city, but my daughter is a student at S.F state, I'll ask here what malls are best.

chikadodle Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:21am
post #7 of 9

In SF, take your daughter to Union Square -- lots of shops to appeal to a 12 year old! There is a large shopping mall there as well as hundreds of stores in the surrounding blocks. Also, there are some shops in Berkeley around Telegraph Ave that have vintage clothes, if she's interested in that at all. Coincidentally, there is a shop on University Ave in Berkeley called "Spun Sugar" which sells very limited cake supplies. They're very nice and helpful there, but the shop is very small and not heavily stocked. There is also "Sur la Table" which has some cake supplies but it is mostly a kitchen store (as opposed to a cake store). Keep in mind that the summer in SF tends to be cool and foggy -- bring jackets no matter what time of year it is! It's always easy for locals to spot tourists -- they inevitably are the folks wearing the SF sweatshirts that they got in desperation! Enjoy your trip!

Deb_ Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #8 of 9

One of our best family vacations was spent in San Francisco. My kids were younger when we went (8 and 10), but they loved it.

Go to pier 39, there's a lot of shops down there, street performers, restaurants etc....

When we were there (199icon_cool.gif the shopping was great right in the downtown area. I'm not sure how the awful US economy has effected some of the smaller boutiques but there are plenty of large department stores.

If you venture outside the city Muir Woods is beautiful as well as a day trip through Napa Valley.

There is a lot to see and do, fantastic restaurants and don't forget riding the famous San Francisco Street Cars (my sons favorite).

You guys will have a great time there.......I'm jealous!! icon_smile.gif

deanna_cake Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:55am
post #9 of 9

If you're coming all the way to SF, I would definately check out pier 39, the exploratorium is always fun for the kids, my 2 little ones just went last week and are still raving about it. You should definately stop by the napa valley too. It's only a short drive from the city. It's also got some of the best places to eat/visit. There is a cupcake shop in napa, and St.Helena has a couple of pretty cool bakeries, and so does Yontville. All right next to each other. I know theres a kitchen store in Napa called Shackford's and there is a cake decorating store called Sweet Graces. I have yet to make it in there to see for myself. I'm still pretty new to this area myself. Hope this helps...

Quote by @%username% on %date%