First Wedding Cake - Need Chocolate Recipe!

Decorating By MomoTyty Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm by MomoTyty

MomoTyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomoTyty Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:17am
post #1 of 6

Hi all, I've done some searching but does anyone have a tried and true moist chocolate cake recipe that will hold up to stacking and fondant covering? Also, any recipes for filling and icing to go with it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

It is small (serving only 15) but I'd like to do 2 or 3 small tiers. My neighbor asked me to make it for her daughters casual backyard wedding next Monday...I am very nervous about making someone's wedding cake...even if it is a casual wedding!

Thanks much and wish me luck icon_eek.gif

5 replies
rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 11:54am
post #2 of 6

The WASC variations tend to be fairly dense (and moist) and therefore hold up well to stacking

Michellet62260 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellet62260 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 6

I recently made a 10" chocolate fudge cake with dark chocolate fudge frosting(see my pics ,it's the one with 3 cakes but I have a close up in additional pics)
Believe it or not I used a Pillsbury box mix (pudding in the mix) for chocolate fudge cake and it was very moist.(not sure how it will stand up to stacking, but it was 4 layers and it stood up pretty good) I pushed down on each layer after frosting to insure stability.
I was also very please with the recipe for dark chocolate fudge frosting off the back of the Hershey's "DARK CHOCOLATE COCOA POWDER" It was a very dark chocolate frosting and crusted quite well. The entire cake with frosting was very moist and delicious.
I am still a novice and know most use homemade recipe's but I had terrific results with this combination!
For the 10" cake I use 2 box mixes and for the frosting I had to make the recipe times 4!

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 6

I also use the wasc chocolate version and never had a complaint

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 6

I just posted a recipe I do on this thread. It is wonderful, dense and moist!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6444898.html#6444898

MomoTyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomoTyty Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the ideas. Printed and saved!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%