Help With Writing

Decorating By kaseyrconnect Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 5:32am by kaseyrconnect

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:38am
post #1 of 3

i was hoping that i could get some ideas from anyone on how to do writing on a cake
i have such a problem with keeping my writing going straight across and not slanting up or down and also i have a hard time judging just how much room the message is going to take so sometimes it just doesn't look centered
i realize that i am my own worst critic but nothing frustrates me more than to feel that i did a good job with the design and then the message looks like a preschooler wrote it-i also find it hard to write when i can't rest my arm on something
any advice or tips or tricks or something?
thanks in advance for any help you can give me

2 replies
TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:55am
post #2 of 3

I have multiple sets of letter cutters that I use for writing..My writing is horrible, but I'm sure it would improve with practice.

Another technique I use is I print out my saying for the cake, tape it to a cake board and cover it with wax paper. I then trace the letters with royal icing and let it dry. I can then use my spatula and pick up the letters and place them on the cake. It's a time consuming process, but I like the results I get with it.

You could use the pin prick method. You have to use crusting buttercream or fondant.. Print out your saying in the font you want...Place the paper on the cake and use a stick pin to transfer a pattern onto your cake. I've tried this a couple of times and didn't have much luck with it.. I was probably doing something wrong!

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:32am
post #3 of 3

thanks for the suggestions i will try these i do have some cutters i have tried using them to cut out fondant letters which does work but i still have a problem keeping them straight maybe i am just too clumsy
do you use these to imprint the letters on your cake and then go over them with frosting or do you cut out fondant letters with them
thanks again you have been helpful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%