Stacked Cakes

Decorating By casey48 Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 9:30pm by __Jamie__

casey48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casey48 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:46am
post #1 of 4

Just wondering what everyone uses to stack cakes on? I have used the cardboard circles covered with board cover and I have used foam core like Sharon Z. uses covered with board cover. I have seen pictures of cakes stacked on cardboard with no cover. I think covering the boards with the tape on the bottom - touching the next layer - is distasteful, but the cardboard with no covering looks nasty also. I have a 5 tier stacked cake this weekend and am thinking about which method I should use. I looked at the SPS system, but am not sure how this actually works. What if my cake is a little smaller than the plastic plate and I don't use a border? Am I looking at this the right way? TIA for any insight! icon_cool.gif

3 replies
Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 4

I have heard (or rather, read) great things about the sps and never anyone complaining of their cakes being to small. So I don't know about that. I still use plain ole cardboard circles and bubble straws. Perhaps if I was a professional caker I could justify the purchase of the sps system.

casey48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casey48 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 4

I'm just not sure how it works. Do you know how to bump this text so maybe it can get out there and I can get more responses? Thanks!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 4

Go to the How Do I forum....there is a sticky called SPS...tells you all about it. I too use press and seal covered foam core for each cake tier. English drum or custom cut decorated foam core for the actual cake base.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%