What Coloring To Use To Get Apple Red?

Decorating By ttehan4 Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 12:26pm by ttehan4

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:31am
post #1 of 7

Im trying to color gumpaste an apple red color or a pretty red for roses. Ive used no taste red and not real happy with the amount of color needed and not a realistic red. I got ateco super red gel in squeeze bottle and used very little to accomplish the color but its more of a orangish red. Any suggestions? I have to do 40 large gumpaste rose in the next day or so along with 4 other cakes. 3 - 3 tiers and a carved cake - so im stressing!

6 replies
curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:42am
post #2 of 7

If you have access to Americolor gels, you can try their Super Red. It turns out great.

HTH,
Cecilia

ttehan4 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:12am
post #3 of 7

I thought my cake store that I shop had the americolors and I was really wanting to try that brand, but they didnt or they were just out. I think I will call tomorrow and ask. Thanks

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:20am
post #4 of 7

I made red roses from gumpaste on a cake in my pics, I made them white and then painted them with americolor tulip red/red luster dust and clear vanilla, I mixed all 3 together, it worked perfectly. Hope that helps.

Sarah

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:21am
post #5 of 7

Ditto that! I use the Americolor super red and it works really well, if your local store doesnt carry it you can also order them online .

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:24am
post #6 of 7

try adding one drop of yellow to say 6 drops of red, or if using paste or gel, get the "unrealistic" color red going then add a touch of yellow. it should get a pretty rose color going. HTH! icon_cool.gif

ttehan4 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks. Im going to give the yellow a try. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%