Cupcake Cakes

Decorating By CherylAnn Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 2:40am by curiegas

CherylAnn Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:18am
post #1 of 3

Its been a while since i have really been on cake central due to pc problems. My neice would like a cupcake cake for her daughters 2nd birthday. I have never done one and would appreciate any and all information about cupcake cakes plz. TIA

2 replies
ktm00n Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:32am
post #2 of 3

Are you doing a square/rectangle cupcake cake, or a shaped one?

I used to work at a grocery and had to make tons of these, and I think the best advice I could give is to set out the cupcakes in the shape you want, then pick them up one by one and use a little icing to secure them down. If it's warm, you may want to stick it in the fridge for a few minutes to set the icing after this step.

Use a large cupcake tip (like Wilton's 1M, I think) to make a swirl of icing to fill in the gaps between the cupcakes, and create a (relatively) level surface. Then you can use the big icer tip, if you like, or just plop the icing down and smooth it out as you would for a normal cake. From then on, it's just like a normal cake, only you only have to decorate the top icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps!

curiegas Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:40am
post #3 of 3

Here is a tutorial that I used when I started making cupcake cakes. The person that made this tutorial used to post on CC but hasnt in a while. The instructions are great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%