Need Help With Liquor Flavors Pls

Baking By conchita Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 8:12am by miny

conchita Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:03am
post #1 of 11

Hello I dont know nothing about liquor and would like to know what type of liquor I can use for my cakes and cake fillings please. I was told there is a liquor that tastes like chambord liquor and is less expensive. i also have a bottle of chocolate liquor is (Cask & Cream) cream liquor and I have a bottle of schnapps (peach flavor) and i use it for my peach cake filling.

can you guys give me ideas on what to use and I also would like to know if ican use the liquor for chocolates
thank you

10 replies
chefjess819 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:12am
post #2 of 11

razzmatazz is a cheap version of chamord. goldschlager is great in a chocolate cake for a choco/peppermint cake. coconut rum for a coconut cake. rum has a great "maskable" liquor flavor in their flavored rums. the cheap ones taste as good as the more expensive ones do. i'm a fan of cherry vodka sours at a restaurant/bar and have been figuring out a recipe to make a cake that resembles this flavor. starbucks does make a great coffee liquor that would be awesome in a cake. so i would say, just have fun with it! icon_cool.gif
as for chocolates, there is a german made chocolate with a liquor ganache center that is amazing! so that is completely possible!

edited to add choc point...

miny Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #3 of 11

I've only used kahlua, Bacardi rum, Baily's and chivas regal, but a teaspoon goes a long way so be careful! icon_lol.gif

ktm00n Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:27am
post #4 of 11

I've used tons of liquors in lots of cakes...

If you're doing a cake mix cake, you can replace part of the water with any kind of alcohol (I've used Kahlua, vodka, tequila, irish cream, rum....)

You can also use alcohol to replace part of the water in the buttercream, but this produces a VERY strong flavor, so be very lighthanded and taste it as you go to make sure it doesn't overpower the flavor of the icing.

If you use simple syrups on your cakes (equal parts water and sugar boiled until the sugar dissolves), wait until the syrup cools and add a capful of two of any kind of liquor.

Flavored vodkas are nice to use (if possible, buy a sample size bottle, unless you will drink it, because it takes a while to use up a whole bottle).

Think of any kind of mixed drinks you like... they usually translate pretty well into cakes and fillings, too.

conchita Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:50am
post #5 of 11

wow thank you so much for your help, I made a 3 leches cake last weekend and I put some rum , I don't drink at all and I think I over did it with the alcohol. this info helps me a lot
thanks again thumbs_up.gif

miny Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:36am
post #6 of 11

I always put rum in my tres leches but only half teaspoon in the milk, it's delicious! icon_biggrin.gif you can also use rompope or kahlua with very good results, but kahlua gets the whipping cream a little dark.......I don't mind the taste is amazing!!! icon_lol.gif

yummybravo Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:25am
post #7 of 11

Hi. My Fiance and I are making our own wedding cake (a JAck and Sally cake for our 103010 wedding) and I was looking for a good strawberry filling that could be left out. I saw the one for the raspberry and chambord and was wondering how i could make that same concept work for strawberry...this is our first fancy cake experience and we are practicing now,lol. I would LOVE any advise. Thanks.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #8 of 11

When you say "left out", what exactly do you mean? A few hours at the reception, overnight, or a day or two? Is refrigeration impossible?

yummybravo Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:40am
post #9 of 11

Over night more than likely. We want to have it put all together the night before and I don't think that we will have any room for it in my fridge...i plan on keep the air down as low as possible in the house if that would help.

cocobean Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:03am
post #10 of 11

Hope I can ask some other questions along the same lines. Maybe others have wondered about these to.
I to, don't know a thing about buying alchohol or using it in cakes or cooking. I saw a bottle labeled "brandy" where they sell flavorings at the kitchen store. The very small bottle (2 oz.) was 3.95. How much does a mini bottle of alchohol cost (flavor ?) at a liqure store. Are they all about the same price or does a mini size bottle differ in price depending on what is in the bottle? Can you get any flavor in a mini bottle size? Would a mini bottle have 2 oz. or more? Am I even using the right terminology? Sorry to be so nieve but I really don't have a clue. Would the alchohol cook out if I added it in a simple syrup when cooking it on the stove? Thanks so much for the info!
I wouod really love to make something with the flavor without the alchohol content.

miny Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 8:12am
post #11 of 11

I think you are refering to LorrAnn flavors, those are oils and they're very strong so the size of the bottle doesn't matter because you only use a few drops of it, if you want to get the flavor without the alcohol they are great to work with, the real thing don't cook off all the alcohol. There, you have the info, you can make an informed choice. HTH. Good luck and happy baking! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%