Sugar Cakes????

Decorating By gibson Updated 22 Aug 2005 , 5:02am by tripletmom

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 18

HI

I am very new to this forum and to cake decorating. I have a question and to all of you experienced cake decorators it is probably a very simple one.......when someone says that a "cake" is made of sugar what does that mean and how do you do it? I've seen it when a cake has to be 100% edible. How does it taste? If someone could be so kind to let me know I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

17 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 18

First, let me welcome you to CakeCentral gibson.. we're very happy to have you here with us icon_smile.gif I'm not sure I understand your question about the sugar ... did you mean in the ingredients for the cake batter itself? or do you mean with the icing? if with the icing, we usually refer to the sugar part which means confectioner's sugar ...

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 12:25am
post #3 of 18

I don't know what could be meant by a "sugar" cake, but when you see references to sugar flowers or sugar decorations, they are usually referring to decorations made from a sugary dough called gumpaste.

gibson Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:35am
post #4 of 18

I don't know how else to explain it.........I was looking on here for an idea for a baby shower cake and came across an absolutely gorgeous one. It is under baby showers on the last page.....page 6 I believe....it's a square cake with letters and numbers on the side made out of fondant with a quilt and a mini bear on top. This was done by a lady for a competition at the Calgary Stampede and in her description she says the bear is made of sugar........that's all I can tell you. The cake is gorgeous and I've left a note asking her to tell me how she did the whole thing in detail but haven't gotten a response........it's quite an old post so she probably isn't looking at it anymore....if anybody could help I would be soooooooo grateful!!
Thank you so much for making me feel so welcome! You guys are great!!
One other question.....how do you know if somebody responds to your question? I have the box checked "notify me when a reply is posted" and wasn't notified.....

HollyPJ Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:41am
post #5 of 18

I'll bet the bear is made of gumpaste, or possibly fondant. Both can be used to mold figures.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:44am
post #6 of 18

You can try private messaging her. She might see that before she see your post on her pic.

gibson Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:51am
post #7 of 18

How do I private message her?
I know the bear is not made of gumpaste.......it has icing on it like fur.....I'm sorry I can't explain it better.. icon_sad.gif

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:53am
post #8 of 18

onthe left side of you screen in your MY ACCOUNT area it has al ist of stuff like my photos my saved photos my forum info and stuff like that you click on the private message then you will type in her name where it asks and then type your message and send. its like emailing. hope that helps

gibson Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:57am
post #9 of 18

You are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!! icon_lol.gif

ntertayneme Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:59am
post #10 of 18

If you know her nick, you just click on private message, then on new post .. type in her nick she uses on here, then type your message to her .. then click on submit/send icon_smile.gif

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:09am
post #11 of 18

Here is the cake that gibson is referring to. She is right, it is gorgeous!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=12&pos=479

gibson Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:16am
post #12 of 18

HI tripletmom and fellow Canadian!
(I"m in Fort McMurray, Alberta)

Since you've seen the cake does it look like the bear is made of gumpaste? What do you think? Did you happen to read the write up on it and did it make sense to you when she said it was made of sugar?

ntertayneme Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:26am
post #13 of 18

The bear looks like the mini-bear pan... not sure what she meant by the sugar part of her comment but she stated she used royal icing .. to me it looks like she used a grass tip w/maybe some royal icing to cover it.. the cake is all fondant and I would imagine she use cookie cutters for the letters/numbers to cut them out .. it appears she used a small round tip and dotted around each one ...

the blanket is fondant that she rolled something around the edges or she used something to make the impression around the edges ...

at the bottom border, she used a very small, thin ribbon and a small bead border with a round tip on the bottom border ..

it's a very beautiful cake .. she's very talented for sure icon_smile.gif

gibson Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:30am
post #14 of 18

Thank you so much!
I thought that's what it was....I have sent her a private message but it sounds like you described it good enough.....think I'll try it just to fool around and for the practise but since I'm so new don't know how it will turn out.......but I guess that's how we get better!
Thank you to all who helped me!!! You guys are a great bunch! It's nice to know there's somewhere to turn when you have no idea what you're doing! lol

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:35am
post #15 of 18

I'm pretty new too, but I'm going to give this a shot in case the artist doesn't get back to you. I think because she said it was made of sugar, she may have meant just that. She may have done the bear as a sugar mold the way one does sugar molds for Easter eggs, but using the Wilton mini bear pan. The gives the taste and texture of a sugar cube. I think, in the description, she is saying the bear, rather than the cake, is covered in royal icing, and futher down in the comments she says she used a grass tip #234 for the fur. So, maybe molded sugar bear, covered ingrass tip royal icing fur. Not delicious, but definiely edible.

I hope she answers you. I'd love to hear the real deal.

gibson Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:49am
post #16 of 18

Could I make the mini bear out of cake? Do you think that would be a problem? That way the whole thing would be enjoyable to eat.
I have no idea on how to do a sugar mold....is it easy?
I know the questions don't stop!

HollyPJ Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:49am
post #17 of 18

or it could be a gumpaste bear covered in royal icing fur.

That is certainly an adorable cake!

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 5:02am
post #18 of 18

Hi there fellow Canuck!

You could definitely make the mini bear out of cake and yes it is easy. I have that pan and have made the bear a few times. I first used it for a shower cake as well and the mom took the bear home to show her husband. You can get the pan at Micheal's if there is one in your area.

Good luck! Can't wait to see your pictures!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%