How Far In Advance Can You Cover A Cake With Fondant?

Decorating By cdent Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 11:07pm by ShopGrl1128

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 2

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get your opinion on how far in advance I could actually cover cakes with fondant and still have them taste fresh the day of the event. Any suggestions??

1 reply
ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 2

Hello Cdent:

I'm glad someone else is asking this question.
As long as you don't use perishable fillings (such as mousse or egg based creams) you should be ok covering them 2 days in advance, BUT I had three wedding cakes this past Saturday and I was worried about not having enough time on Friday night to decorate (I have a full time job) so I covered them all in fondant on Thursday night.

Each one of them cracked! the first one had little cracks on the top tier, not too bad but still, the second one had like a 3" crack on the bottom tier, that wasn't noticeable at all because the front was covered with cascading flowers, I noticed it when I bent down to pack my boxes at the reception site.
The third on had little cracks on the top tier only, that I covered with decorations...but still, it bothered me a lot.

This never happened to me before so I think it was because I covered the cakes too early and the fondant got dried and cracked, I will never do it again.

Next time I cover my cakes on a Thursday I will put them on the fridge.

The cake did taste fine as I already received emails from two of the clients saying how tasty and beautiful the cakes were!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%