Air Bubbles In Glace Icing -- Solutions??

Baking By JGMB Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 6:17pm by Bellatheball

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 7

I've been practicing making cookies, using the outlining then flooding method. I'm doing okay except that my glace has little airbubbles come to the surface over and over for about 10 minutes after I've flooded them.

I keep having to backtrack to pop the airbubbles on the cookies I've already done. It takes a lot of extra time. Is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 7

Hmmm,i've not ever had this problem but perhaps you are mixing the glaze to quickly when you make it. The little air bubbles occur in buttercream for the same reason, also if the wand is not fully covered it will encorporate little air bubbles. I always mix my royal on the lowest speed for around ten minutes, and my paddle isn't always covered. I would suggest try lowering your speed first. If that doesn't work then try taking a spatula and passing it through your glaze several times before use. This may be enough to get those pesky bubbles out. Good luck.

Oh, one more thought...have you tried gently tapping the glazed cookie on the tabletop after you have filled it in? Kinda like what you would do when you make chocolate. This will make the the bubble rise to the surface and pop.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:37am
post #3 of 7

hi!
what i do is, when i am done mixing, i turn the paddle to the lowest speed possible and let it go for another 5 minutes and that gets rid of about 90% of the air bubbles.
diane

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:08am
post #4 of 7

Thank you both so much!!! I've looked at your photos and you both do gorgeous work, so I know you know what you're talking about! icon_razz.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:01pm
post #5 of 7

I have found that I never get air bubbles in my glace icing when I smooth the icing out with a tapered off-set spatula. I only have problems when I have a puddle of icing (like for a nose, or an eye, or a small little area that has to get iced and I can't use the spatula). I also make smaller batches of icing, and I just mix it up in a bowl with a spoon. I realize you can't do this with royal, though. I like the idea of gently tapping the iced cookie to bring the bubbles to the surface. You'd have to do it right away before a crust formed, I would think.

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 7

I have made about four batches of glace icing and every time it has ruined my cookies. No matter how I mix it, fast or slow, or let it sit for a day to get the bubbles out, I still get bubbles. Every freaking time. I can only use RI.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I have found that I never get air bubbles in my glace icing when I smooth the icing out with a tapered off-set spatula. I only have problems when I have a puddle of icing (like for a nose, or an eye, or a small little area that has to get iced and I can't use the spatula). I also make smaller batches of icing, and I just mix it up in a bowl with a spoon. I realize you can't do this with royal, though. I like the idea of gently tapping the iced cookie to bring the bubbles to the surface. You'd have to do it right away before a crust formed, I would think.

I also mix my glace icing by hand in a bowl. I use a whisk and stir only until everything is combined. The only time I've had bubbles is when I used my KA to do the mixing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%