Make Or Buy Fondant?

Business By PinkPetals Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm by cdent

PinkPetals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPetals Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 13

I'm just getting started in my cake business and am curious if people take the time to make their own fondant or if they pay for it pre-made. I'm assuming it's less expensive to make it yourself (haven't done the math) but it's certainly tedious and hard to get the exact color I'm looking for since you color it BEFORE adding the powedered sugar.

I'm just curious what the majority of cake bakers out there do, and whether or not they feel if there is a cost advantage to one over the other.

12 replies
karilove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karilove Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 13

I just got started too, but i find the homemade fondant is much better than the store bought one.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 13

I bought the Wilton fondant once when I firdt tried using fondant. Since then, I have always made my own (MMF). I have figured it up that I can make one batch at $5.50. Now it's probably actually cheaper than that because I included a bottle of color and a bottle of flavoring in my estimate.

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 13

I personally make mine. It tastes better because you can add whatever extract you choose and it is way cheaper! Where I live, Wilton's 5lb box is $20, to make your own 5lbs of MMF, it is around $7-$8 if not less. I have the whole making process down to about 30min so it's not too bad, plus it's nice to be able to add the color when it's still liquefied instead of kneading it in pre-made fondant...that's a time saver in and of itself (even if you just get the base color before you add powdered sugar and then add color to it later to match it to what you need.)

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 13

I make MFF and told my DH after the last batch that it is pretty "goof proof" because as I'm making it it doesn't really get my full attention and allways turns out great. So to me its not any more of a hassle to just make it myself. I haven't tried the premade fondant but there are alot of people on here that are big fans of them both in taste and texture. I really think it comes down to what you like and what works for you, try everything you never know what might surprise you.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 13

I buy Satin Ice.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 13

I buy renshaw regalice. Im from the uk. And i think its just as cheap to buy it than make it, personally i find i get alot better quality control if i buy it in , i cant afford to have random Dry batches, or too soft/hard w.e , i want and need the same quality as i go.

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 13

Hello everyone I had a few questions since we are on the topic of fondat I have made my own fondant and also bought my own as well BUT....

I noticed when I made my own and let it sit on the cake overnight it became kinda hard and rubbery ( kinda like bubble gum) and hard to cut thru. Did I make it wrong or does it do this?

I now normally buy my fondant but yes it is VERY expensive but at least i can cut thru it like icing not bubble gum.

Thanks for any pointers

Misdawn Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 13

Yeah mine is the same way. just pop it in the microwave for about 10 seconds for a fist-size piece. Longer for larger pieces.

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 13

What do you do when its already on the cake though and it turns rubbery like that?

Misdawn Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #11 of 13

Usually once it's rolled out thinly to cover a cake, it doesn't get rubbery again. I have never had that happen (that I have been made aware of.) Sorry, wish I could help more.

-AndSheBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-AndSheBakes Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 13

For those who wrote they make their own fondant, What recipe are you using? Have you found a certain recipe that works best?

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by -AndSheBakes

For those who wrote they make their own fondant, What recipe are you using? Have you found a certain recipe that works best?

I LOVE this recipe! Very easy and it has a very similar texture to Wilton's Fondant:

Marshmallow Fondant
Recipe will cover an 8 square cake or about 2 dozen good size cookies
2 batches will cover a 12 square cake

Ingredients

16oz bag mini marshmallows
2 Tablespoons water
2 pounds SIFTED C&H powdered sugar (NOTE: C&H does not use Beet Sugar like the others)

Directions

1. Grease a microwaveable bowl, spoon & work surface with Crisco
2. Place marshmallows and water in bowl
3. Microwave on high for two minutes, until melted (mallows will be puffy)
4. Stir with the greased spoon until all marshmallows are evenly melted (you can add color & Flavoring in this step if you prefer!)
5. Begin to add sifted powdered sugar; stir it in until you can no longer stir & then try to knead it in the bowl until its too difficult
6. Turn fondant onto work surface & continue to knead in sugar; hopefully you can get it all in
7. Shape into ball, cover in shortening and wrap it twice in plastic wrap (The fondant will keep for quite awhileI wouldnt go more than a few weeks though if you want it to taste fresh.) It will harden when its cold or when its been sitting. Pop it in the microwave (no need to cover) for 10-15 seconds and knead it. BE CAREFULit can develop hot spots inside.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%