Brainstorming Needed! Fake Water Vertically Out Of Cake

Decorating By weirdfishes Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 11:04pm by ceshell

weirdfishes Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:28am
post #1 of 11

I am attempting to make a cake that looks like a whale for a birthday party. I've finished the cake part and it looks great, but I have one finishing touch I want to add and I can't figure out how to do it! I want the whale to look like water is coming out of its spout. I'm afraid to use fondant or gumpaste because of heaviness and thought maybe pulled sugar would work but i've never done anything with sugar and frankly, i'm scared of burning myself! I really would like to make everything edible too. Does anyone have any ideas?

10 replies
Uniqueask Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:35am
post #2 of 11

Here's a bump

nelikate Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:48am
post #3 of 11

I just made the "pouring beer" cake. I used the rock candy recipe here on CC, it was really easy to make. I then poured it onto a piece of dowel - this took a bit of time as it kept running off into the pan but I got the effect I was after. You could try this. I did burn myself with the candy but nothing too bad. Be careful and have a towel and something to rest the dowel on if you have to drop it quickly if you do get candy on yourself. =)

good luck!

weirdfishes Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:16am
post #4 of 11

thanks! I would prefer to not use a rod to keep everything edible, but thats definitely a good idea!

kimblyd Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:27am
post #5 of 11

Someone on CC (sorry I can't remember who) posted a volcano cake on here the other day and they had the lava spewing up and out and it looked really cool.

It looked like they might have used candy, like you would pour into molds or make lollipops with, Hobby Lobby and Micheals sells it.

Good luck!

dennettesdelectables Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:36am
post #6 of 11

if you could find some sort of metal cookie cutter in the shape of a cylinder or something of the sorts(since you can bend them to the shape you want) you can take blue jolly ranchers and melt them in the oven on the inside of the cookie cutter...the Neely's did it on Food Network and made holiday christmas tree ornaments that way...something to look into

weirdfishes Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:45am
post #7 of 11

if I made a mold out of fondant do you think i could pour hot sugar in it? Or what about clay? Nobody is going to be eating the sugar so i think clay might work?

jillangel Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:33am
post #8 of 11

You could take royal icing and make a fountain of water (like color flow) let it dry, attach it and paint it with blue piping gel to kind of give you that effect if that makes sense.

katielb Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:46am
post #9 of 11

could you try using toffee?? it would be clear at soft ball stage. You could drizzle it onto a tray and let dry. It would be stable enough to stand up on the cake (or make a small incision on the blowhole)

Reimagining_Confections Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:58am
post #10 of 11

Try gelatin(Knox) dyed blue(though not solid I would streak the blue. Use the recipe for gelatin butterflies, "paint" thin layers on to a plastic sheet(Michael's). Let dry then peel off sheet. I would then use food scissors to free hand cut three or four "pieces" of water. Reheat a little gelatin and "glue" pieces together. Should be light weight, translucent like water, edible (could even accent with edible glitter- piping gel painted on gelatin where you want the glitter, then sprinkle). I think it would work.

- Dissolve a mixture of unflavored gelatin [such as Knox or Great Lakes] & water. (If you want color add while hot- airbrush preferred but gel is fine too)
- Brush gel mixture over the veined section of the mold or in this case plastic sheet

- Sit back and wait they release themselves from the molds when dry!
- Trim the edges, and decorate (edible pens, dusts, glitter, etc).

ceshell Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:04pm
post #11 of 11

You can also melt jolly ranchers and shape them into your water spout. Ideally you would place them onto fondant though, not buttercream, since the moisture (i.e. humidity) from the bc can cause them to lose their shape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%