A Few Questions (Storing Fondant/storing Cakes)

Decorating By diamondsmom Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 9:16am by SarahJane

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:17am
post #1 of 3

Hi CC'ers,

I will be doing my very first for sale fondant cake for a party on the 27th..sooo excited LOL... I've been gathering all the info I can so it would turn out great..You guys are wonderful I must say..

Can I bake the cake Thursday night and just wrap it up in saran wrap and keep in an airtight container until I'm ready to torte, fill and cover Saturday morning? Or do I need to refridgerate it.

Can i make the Fondant on Thursday too? How do I store it, I read on a past post that putting it in the fridge makes it diddficult to work with. will it go bad if I leave it out of the fridge until saturday morning? I will eb makign marshmallow Fondant.

Thanks for all your help.

2 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:09am
post #2 of 3

You can actually make both the cake and the fondant right now if you like. The fondant should stay good for several weeks at room temp and I believe it can also be frozen (I've yet to try it but I have read that on here that you can do it). After you make your fondant just coat it with some shortening. Wrap it in saran wrap (I usually do 2 layers of this) then put it in a ziploc type bag and take out as much air as possible.
For the cake you can bake it now and freeze it, if it will help you with your timing. I've tried this a few times and the cakes stay super moist. I wrap the cakes in a few layers of saran wrap then with heavy duty foil paper. I take the cake out the day before I need it and let it defrost in the fridge still wrapped in the saran/foil wrapping.
If you don't want to freeze the cake baking it on Thursday should be fine for a Sat cake too. Just leave it on the counter wrapped to keep any dust etc off of it. If you put it in the fridge it may dry it out.

Hope that helps. icon_smile.gif

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 9:16am
post #3 of 3

I don't like to freeze my cake. If you're not going to fill until Saturday. I wouldn't bake until Friday, if it's scratch cake. Then you can leave them out at room temp. If you are using cake mix, it will be fine if you make on Thursday and let sit until Saturday out at room temp. I've found the cake does better though if you get it filled and crumbcoated and then it sits. It doesn't dry out like it does if the layers are just sitting out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%