How Far Ahead To Make Fondant

Decorating By montanamommy Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 7:05pm by mandysue

montanamommy Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:24am
post #1 of 5

How far in advance can I make fondant? I'm brand new to cake decorating and I'm making a cake for my grandma's 75th birthday next weekend.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Andrea

4 replies
CakeMommy3 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:16am
post #2 of 5

Well, if you haven't already settled on a recipe, I highly recommend Michele Foster's fondant. You can store it for months, and you can freeze it. You can make your fondant now, just double wrap it in saran wrap and then put it in a freezer bag. I would leave it on the counter, but you can refrigerate it if you want to. Just give it plenty of time to come to room temperature before you use it.

Welcome to CC!

montanamommy Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 5

So I made up the fondant, wrapped it in saran wrap several times and put it in the fridge. Its very hard now. Is that how its supposed to be? I haven't unwrapped it from the plastic wrap yet to check the firmness. Will it soften when warmed up?

Thanks

cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 5

Yes. just let it sit out. you really dont have to put it in the fridge. Once it sits out for a while and you knead it it should be just fine.... good luck ...oh and welcome to CC

mandysue Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 5

I learned to not bother with the frig when it comes to fondant. It won't spoil and it just gets super-hard. If you can't let it sit out for several hours, you can use the microwave to help you soften it. It doesn't take long...like 10 seconds for a baseball size hunk, but it makes a huge difference in trying to knead it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%