My Very First Wedding Cake. Please Comment.

Decorating By Mara4tK Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 3:21am by Uniqueask

Mara4tK Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:52am
post #1 of 15

Hey all,

I have just recently started cake decorating about 4 months ago. This is my 5th ever decorated cake and my very first wedding cake.

My First wedding cake

It is a dark choc mud cake with cherry creme filling. Tiers are 12,9,6 x 4 and scrollwork is in choc RI coloured black. The cake was designed by myself, inspired by a key graphic on their wedding invitation.

The wedding topper was purchased by the bride and although I don't particularly like the way it looked on the cake (I think the styles clashed and it was a little tall for the size on the cake) I highly commend it's creator for her craftmanship. The cake topper was personalise with the groom in his football team colours lifting the bride who is a fairy. Cake Topper Website

I would like any comments and suggestions. I would also like to know how much you would have charged for this cake.

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

14 replies
cylstrial Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:57am
post #2 of 15

Wow Mara! What a beautiful cake! You did a great job! It's so good...I never would have guessed that it was only your 5th cake!

Welcome to Cake Central!

Kitagrl Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:58am
post #3 of 15

Its gorgeous, such a nice job! I can't believe you've only been decorating a short time. Way to go!

bakermommy4 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:59am
post #4 of 15

That cake is gorgeous...I've been decorating a full year in August and WISH I could pull that off...GOOD JOB

patticakesnc Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:02am
post #5 of 15

Wonderful. I envy people who can pipe lol. I have been doing cakes for a little while now and just am not really good at piping. I guess that's why I stick to more custom carved cakes. But after seeing yours I think I am going to have to try now!

vtcake Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:06am
post #6 of 15

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:08am
post #7 of 15

The cake is lovely.

FYI, we're not allowed to post photos of faces in the gallery, so to keep your cake photo from getting deleted and you losing the comments on it, you might want to edit it so the faces aren't in it.

Mara4tK Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:15am
post #8 of 15

Thanks for the heads up texas rose.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how much one would charge for this. It was for some friends so the price i charged didnt even cover costs but if i was to sell it to someone not so close what do you htink i would get away with.

newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:16am
post #9 of 15

Wow - great, great job! For your first wedding cake and only your 5th cake, I'd say you have the gift! Keep making those beautiful cakes!! thumbs_up.gif

diane Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #10 of 15

beautiful only suggestion...i would have outllined the oval shape thingy in black...can't think of what to call it...this would make it stand out better.

i would charge between $3.00 and $4.00 a slice for that!

well done!!! icon_wink.gif

Mara4tK Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:04am
post #11 of 15

Thanks Diane.

Thanks for the suggestion about the plaque. I iniatially wanted to pipe the key design directly on the cake but i was worried i would mess it up and ruin the cake so i piped it onto a piece on fondant and made the plaque. the black outline is i a great idea to go with the plaque effect. Thanks.

dorie67 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:07am
post #12 of 15

Very,very pretty, you did an absolutely wonderful job. Congrats and welcome to CC. princess.gif

Wesha Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:08am
post #13 of 15

Your cake is beautiful. Keep up the great work. Never sell yourself short. That is the lesson that I have learned from alot of the great ladies on this site. Your time is your most valuable asset when it comes to baking and decorating cakes. Make your customers pay for it. thumbs_up.gif

Angel_Cake Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:16am
post #14 of 15

Wow. My fifth cake looked nowhere near as good- I think your work is great!

Uniqueask Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:21am
post #15 of 15

Welcome to CC and your cake is wonderful great Job

Quote by @%username% on %date%