Dh Is Really Dedicated To My Cake Business!

Decorating By cakeschmake Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm by CHoxie

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:07am
post #1 of 28

I was about to make a cheesecake for my DH for fathers day. He is at work, a 12 hour shift in a building that is literally 100 degrees right now icon_sad.gif

Anyway, he made me laugh today cause he is almost too dedicated to my new cake business and here's how I know:

He stayed up with me til 3:00 am Thurs helping me smooth icing on a 5 tier wedding cake due today...
He called to check on me last night (he was at work and I was up again til 3 am) and listened as I complained about a 3D cow was leaning way too much... not only that, he told a co-worker he couldnt go have breakfast after work this morning cause he had to get home and check on that cow!
He carefully guarded and carried that 5 tier wedding cake as we delivered it today with no problems...

I could go on, but just thought I would gush for a minute icon_smile.gif
He is my biggest fan!

Anyone else want to share?

27 replies
misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:14am
post #2 of 28

Becky, that is awesome!!! I would imagine that makes things a little easier when you are tearing your hair out at 3am.

I do not do this for a living, just for fun right now, but my boyfriend loves all my cake and he is not a fussy eater so he will try any creation I make.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 28

My husband is like that with my cakes. A couple of weeks ago I was having trouble with a very intricate RI design that I was trying to do, and he took a turn working on it when my hand just got too tired. He also keeps pictures of my cakes on his phone and shows them to everyone he knows. Lately he's been stressing out because I'm making my first wedding cake July 4th and he's going to have to get up on a stepstool to assemble it at the bride's house.

Is the AC out where he works or is it always that hot? Tell him to make sure he drinks plenty of water...and if it makes him feel any better, my DH works nights too and the AC keeps going out in his building...but when it goes out, he has to take off his gunbelt (so it doesn't get hung up on the ladder) and climb on the roof to reset the breakers, sometimes several times in his shift...and he's not the maintenence man there either.

cakeschmake Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:34am
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by misserica

Becky, that is awesome!!! I would imagine that makes things a little easier when you are tearing your hair out at 3am.

I do not do this for a living, just for fun right now, but my boyfriend loves all my cake and he is not a fussy eater so he will try any creation I make.

Its nice to have his support... he is a good critic too, almost too good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

My husband is like that with my cakes. A couple of weeks ago I was having trouble with a very intricate RI design that I was trying to do, and he took a turn working on it when my hand just got too tired. He also keeps pictures of my cakes on his phone and shows them to everyone he knows. Lately he's been stressing out because I'm making my first wedding cake July 4th and he's going to have to get up on a stepstool to assemble it at the bride's house.

Is the AC out where he works or is it always that hot? Tell him to make sure he drinks plenty of water...and if it makes him feel any better, my DH works nights too and the AC keeps going out in his building...but when it goes out, he has to take off his gunbelt (so it doesn't get hung up on the ladder) and climb on the roof to reset the breakers, sometimes several times in his shift...and he's not the maintenence man there either.

I texted him several pics last nite, he has alot of cake pictures he has taken on his phone too. He shows my website to his coworkers, too. You'll be glad to have some help if someone needs a step stool to assemble that cake!

He works in a plant and yeah the AC is out, but its pretty hot even with the AC. Its funny I warned him several times in the past few days to drink lots of water at work. He told me he was tempted to jab holes in all of the AC units so maintenance would have to replace them, I hope he was joking!

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:35am
post #5 of 28

My husband loves my cake business too. His favorite saying is. "How much is that cake?... You're givin' it away!!!"
icon_rolleyes.gif

CALI_GIRL_CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CALI_GIRL_CAKES Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #6 of 28

Happy Father's Day to me....I always complain about not enough counter space and space for all my cake toy's. So on his weekend, he went and bought me a rolling island with four drawers and two side cabinets. Good thing I got him something nice for Father's day too....Hee Hee.

cakeschmake Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:40am
post #7 of 28

I have been getting much better at charging for my work lately.. he seems really proud to correct family when they ask "how much did she charge for that?"

MIL was over today as the 3d cow left and we headed out to deliver the wedding cake... she suggested that cow went for about $60 and he said not even close!

cakeschmake Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:04am
post #8 of 28

wow cali girl! way to go thumbs_up.gif

missbeth5281 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missbeth5281 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:33am
post #9 of 28

My hubby is the same exact way... even down to working the night shift at work!! He used his bonus earlier this year to buy me my very own kitchenaid mixer and is always willing to eat my disasters! He's my biggest fan and best supporter. Even when I screw up, he tells me how good I did! He also has pics of my cakes on his phone.

cakeschmake Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:49am
post #10 of 28

Glad he's got your back! They do make good taste testers, dont they?

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:50am
post #11 of 28

I am so glad I am not the only one with an amazing Husband. Dh is so into my cakes, that I drew one up (that the client has not even called me back to look at the design so i don't know if I will get to make it or not) and my Dh has come up with plans for a cake board that would make it sit easier (it is a 3D cell phone cake with the lid open)

DH is a previous mechanic (turned current Schneider Walmart Grocery driver) not Over the road, but I still only get to see him twice a week. ANY WAY -- As he is a previous mechanic (on cars) he has thought of two items that would be wonderful for my cake decorating tool table... 1. he saw on a food network show (a record player turn table for a decorating turn table)
2. a tool that would be vertically and horizontally adjustable to icing cakes both round and square with about two swipes ... I will post pictures after it is made (of fresh clean materials of course)

I love having a wonderful husband and what just happened to my sister makes me happy for my husband all the more!!

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:13am
post #12 of 28

ok, if everyone else is doing it, then I get to gush about mine, too.

I've had MANY different interests over the years. I get these "great ideas" and my husband is supportive of my effort, but doesn't usually understand the point of it (e.g. "But why does anyone NEED a 3-D stained glass sculpture of a tree?", "Is anyone really going to pay to have you make a felted sculpture of their dog?", "Flowers. Out of beads. Ok, whatever.") The list could go on and on.

But I used to do a weekly Farmer's Market in the small town where we lived. He really got behind that. Not only was I selling the crazy stained glass, beadwork, and such, I also made cookies and bread to draw in the customers. He loves my baking.

So, when I declared that Cake Artist is officially what I want to be when I grow up, he's become my number one fan. He can handle art as long as he is allowed to eat it. icon_smile.gif

I just love when we are watching something like Ace of Cakes and he turns to me after they've made some wildly wonderful cake and he says, "You could do that better."

*LMAO* He's delusional, but he's mine.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:17am
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by misserica

Howdy Misserica! I'm a little confused, on Thu June 18, 2009 11:05 am you posted "My writing stinks!" and

Quote:
Quote:

I work in a grocery store bakery so I write "Happy Birthday" all day.

I understand if you sell donuts and such, but if you write (also figure pipe and/or make roses) according to the Baker's, Confectioner's, & Tabacco Worker's Union you ARE a decorator and cannot be forced to do it without the "decorator" contract wages!!!! (you can volunteer to perform the task if you'd like the practice.) So, congrats on your title... you're a decorator (I know... it doesn't count if your grocery store bakery isn't a union shop, but I'd consider you one therefore, you sort of do it for a living!)

My heart went out for you when I heard that there was no one to teach you how to write at the bakery. I was thinking about making a visual-aid video just for you because it was so helpful when I had the opportunity to learn from others on the job and in person. Do you think there's already a video clip of this somewhere? See ya later - decorator!

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:23am
post #14 of 28

OK, my turn! I love it that my DH will sit and watch the cake shows with me and we can talk fondant, BC and why they would do something one way when we would try it another way!

I have a tennis cake coming up in August and when I told my hubby that I wanted to do a tennis court with player and a ball on a wire that went back and forth (my first motorized cake!) he got this blank look on his face and I thought I had gone too far, but then he said 'I guess we need to go to that surplus store and see what we can find'! I think I fell in love with him all over again! icon_lol.gif

And I know what you mean about going through all the different craft stuff - 'you're making wreaths out of what?, Why do you need a quilting frame?, Can you make a mirror out of shell?'
I know that I drive him nuts, but he can be quite a handful too!

Melissa

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 9:24am
post #15 of 28

Yay, a 'good husband' thread!

Mine watched our two-month old for hours yesterday while I made a cake for a party last night, then again while I went to the party without both of them leaving the kitchen in a big mess.

And he lets me tell him cake stories from CC, and has an interested look on his face the whole time!

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 12:37pm
post #16 of 28

I forgot about the 'looking interested' part! I write notes to put in my hubby's lunch everyday and when I have a cake coming up the note is MUCH longer that normal! And he does get to hear about CC all the time. But if I can hang on through hearing about 18 holes of golf he can make it through my cake stuff! Although I get to do cakes alot more often than he gets to play golf, I am one blessed wife! thumbs_up.gif

Melissa

I forgot - my DH is also my cake carver. He has a much better eye for scale and proportion. He's the real artist.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 12:59pm
post #17 of 28

Wow, such great stories. My DH is great too!!! He just recently (within the last week) bought me an airgun/compressor, an edible image printer, a cake design software (I can't draw to save my life), and finished putting up the cupboards (we hadn't planned on finishing this until later).

He works for a company in which is has a laptop with a wireless card and is in a position to meet ALL types of people (business owners....etc). I'm not quite sure how the conversations start, but he will call me and say...what's your password again, I have to show someone your cakes. When I make a cake for a friend, he makes sure he tells everyone "My wife made that, and you can eat everything on it". I'll turn around and walk away or be talking to someone else and will hear it again "Yeah, my wife made that". He will actually stand by the cake for any observers to make sure he can tell them about it.

He will also eat, well try, any "creation" that I might make. He will also do whatever it takes to get me what I need. I made a pretty big/heavy baby shower cake and didn't have anything sturdy enough to put it on. So I asked him if he couldn't cut a piece of thicker board (we have tons do to our remodel) into a "round" piece. He said that he couldn't cause he didn't have the right saw. Ok, so.......what can I do. He said he would be right back, goes down to Lowes, and buys me the PERFECT depth and size of ROUND board (of course I cloroxed it, taped parchment paper around it, covered it with saran wrap, then tin foil, then fondant). OMG, DH saves the day AGAIN!!!!! I love him soooooo much!!

misserica Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:46pm
post #18 of 28

I think this is a great thread! I have to say, we see so many negative things in print and on TV about the divorce rate etc. and it is comforting to know that there are happy couples out there.

Unlimited...I stand corrected! Yes I do it for a living, sort of. I do work for in a union shop. What I refer to as doing it for a living is my kind of cakes, not frozen cake with a bucket of icing. When I grow up I would like to "do it for a living" by having my own bakery and making fondant masterpieces; right now I get paid to cut a sheet in quarters and ice it with Bettercreme and put a border and roses on it. Ya know what, I did not even know I actually had that title until you said it! According to my union, I am in fact a cake decorator! Go me, lol!

And it is sad that I do not have anyone to watch. Every shift though I have been practicing on a piece of parchment or cardboard when I have a few minutes to spare. It should slow down a little bit now that Father's Day and graduations are over so I will have some time to organize my work space better and practice my writing.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #19 of 28

misserica -

Do you work for ShopRite?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

misserica Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm
post #20 of 28

I do not work for ShopRite...am I allowed to post who I work for?
Ah heck why not... I work for Pathmark. I wonder if my boss is on this site lol.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 7:07pm
post #21 of 28

Just wondering. Maybe I should have PM'd you. Sorry.

Here's why I asked.

See if your company will pay for you to go to the Institute of Culinary Education in NYC, for classes. I know a couple of gals from SR that offered to do it on their vacation time, as long as the company paid for it. It's only a train ride away from most places in NJ, and the tuitions are not very expensive, considering all you get and all you learn.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 7:08pm
post #22 of 28

mu hubbie is about as involved as I allow him to get I ilke having control

misserica Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 7:10pm
post #23 of 28

Theresa, I will PM you so I do not hijack this thread.

notjustcake...I like the control thing too, I have a certain way of doing things but if someone is willing to help out and of course taste, that is awesome!

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #24 of 28

There has to be more Great DH's out there!!!! I hope!!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #25 of 28

That's so sweet. I can't even get mine to give me an opinon anymore. He is so sick of me asking if it looks good, or what else can I add. He says, "I'm not the cake decorator, so I don't know"! Blah!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #26 of 28

That's sweet. What a great hubby.

My DH has a love/hate relationship with cake decorating. He has done 4 cakes now to date though and they were really good. Three of them are in my photos (pokemon, Barbie and Lightning McQueen) and a skateboard still needs to be downloaded yet. He tries to be supportive but man does he get upset when his fondant isn't smooth and perfect.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:56am
post #27 of 28

That is so sweet. Power to hubbies!! My husband cleaned our suv because we had to take a wedding cake to maryland and he was worried about the smell getting on the cake. thumbs_up.gif

CHoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHoxie Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm
post #28 of 28

Well, what about Dear Wives? I am the cake baker in the family and my DW is my critic. She helps with the ideas and usually has a better eye for color than I do. She does all of my photography for me, and has created a book of all my cakes. She understands this is just a hobby thing and has been very supportive with every mess I have made in our kitchen. Quite a few of our friends are on an e-mail list; she e-mails every cake photo to them to show my/our creations. She has helped with my business cards, my brochure, even wants to help design a web site.

For Fathers day, she bought me a new set of cake pans and a new pair of oven mitts. Anytime she sees something that would be a cool tool for the kitchen, she buys it for me. And with all of the Michaels/JoAnns coupons, she does more shopping than I do. She found these useful containers for my piping tools, fondant tools, and assorted miscellaneous kitchen gadgets. I think she has more fun at this than I do. And she likes the leftovers too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%