Help, My Mixer Is Rockin And Rollin!

Decorating By Bossy Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 2:30pm by Bossy

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 17

I just got a KitchenAid Pro600 shipped here from my mother-in-law who was going to sell it at a garage sale. I'm so excited to get my big red mixer, especially becuase we just finished remodeling the kitchen in our 1920 house which took us 5 months to do ourselves. When I made frosting the other night the mixer bowl started rocking. I have a smaller KitchenAid stand mixer and it does not rock, and the paddle has a spring to keep it tight. The new mixer has no spring on the paddle lock, the bowl just sits on the pegs and lifts upand down. I do not have the users manual, so I went on line to read one. It does not mention rocking in the trouble shooting section. Anyone have one of these puppies and knows what to do?

16 replies
courtney1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 17

I would call kitchen aid directly. They are usually very helpful.

Bossy Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks, I think I'll call next week while I'm off for the summer!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 17

What did your Mother-in-law say when you asked her about it ?

Bossy Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 17

She never used it! But it did make fantastic buttercream yesterday using high ratio shortening and almond emulsion. OMG I could just sit and eat it right out of the mixing bowl! I just held the handle for a couple of minutes until it quit rocking.

grama_j Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 17

" She never used it"
OMG!! My heart just skipped a beat ! icon_surprised.gif

Bossy Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 12:37pm
post #7 of 17

My heart skipped a beat also when I found out she was going to sell it for a couple of bucks at a garage sale! She lives 5 states away, but it was worth every penny to have it shipped here! Now if she would just buy one of those fancy cake leveling cutters, impressions mats/rollers and silicone leaf impression molds and not use them I'd be in sugar heaven!

grama_j Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 17

" Now if she would just buy one of those fancy cake leveling cutters, impressions mats/rollers and silicone leaf impression molds and not use them I'd be in sugar heaven!"

Maybe you could send her your "wishlist" from Global Sugar Art and she could pick them ALL for Christmas..... icon_lol.gif

You certainly got a find with that mixer though..... maybe something just jogged a little loose in the shipping...... I think I would drop Kitchen Aid a note and ask them...... their customer service is OUTSTANDING.....
I would suggest to you and everyone to invest $25.00 in the Beater Blade that fits the KitchenAid...... I don't even use the one that came with it any more....

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:00pm
post #9 of 17

I have the pro 600, have you made sure the little knobby thing on the bowl is snapped into the hole on the mixer (it is under the arm, not the 2 side bowl supports). The first time I inserted my bowl I missed that part and the bowl rocked and rolled... Then my HUBBY of all people said huh look it's not snapped in all the way... if you cant figue it out I'll take pics for you! You will LOVE the 600! I can't believe she NEVER used it!!!! I use mine daily and not just for cakes! Makes killer fluffy mashed potatoes!

ilucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilucy Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 17

That's funny yesterday my KA was doing the same thing but I was making fondant for the first time, I had to hold the bowl down so it wouldn't come off. I have the pro 500 plus
my frostings does fine I don't have any problems but yesterday was other story w/ the fondant
I think I will call KA to see why it doing it
thanks for posting this problem I know I'm not the only person now

Bossy Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:29pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks Mommy or 3!!!! I just went and looked at the bowl and found the knoby thing. Sense I do not have the book with directions I didn't even know it was there. I think that will do the trick. I'm soooo... excited. Now I'm going to hook up the pasta roller to roll my fondant/gumpaste with for flowers.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:35pm
post #12 of 17

Now that you've locked the bowl in place, go bake us a cake. We'll be there by 3. LOL!

Have fun with your new toy.

I have a big red one, too. I went to the auto parts store and bought some flame decals, and put them on the front of the motor head (ala Alton Brown).

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #13 of 17

Glad you figured it out!

DimplesDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DimplesDelights Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #14 of 17

My husband investigated mine when it did this and he just tightened something in the pedistal. Take the bowl off and the mixing arm off and set the lock then turn the mixer over (the whole thing) there is and small screw in the pedistal that needs tighening. That will fix it i think.

DimplesDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DimplesDelights Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:43pm
post #15 of 17

My husband says to check the silver rod and make sure you center it because the screw stabilizes it.

Bossy Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:46pm
post #16 of 17

I'll look for the lock screw also! That might help with the beater seeming to be not tight enough down in the bowl. You all are awsome! I looked all day on line for this info yesterday! Just one more reason why I'm addicted to this site.

Bossy Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:30pm
post #17 of 17

I'm going to do all the above things to my mixer. Might also help with the beater seeming to not be tight enough down in the bowl.. Thankyou CCr's looked all day on line yesterday to get this info. Just another reason I love this site.

PS- to playingwith sugar, I also put a red sink in my new kitchen! This decal thing could be fun...like tatoos for mixers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%