What Does Red Velvet Cake Like?

Decorating By mouse13 Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 12:31am by PinkZiab

mouse13 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 5

I decided to give red velvet a try for my hubby's and father-in-laws father's day cakes. I have never made this or had it, and wondering what it tastes like? It kinda smelt like chocolate, am I just smelling things or does this cake taste like chocolate? Any help would be great, cause my hubby does not like chocolate.

thanks

4 replies
ttehan4 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 5

It is a chocolate cake. It has a different texture. I dont know how to describe it.

FionaB Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 5

it's basically a light chocolate cake with red food colouring, the recipe uses bicarbonate of soda and vinegar as a raising agent, which used to react with the chocolate and turn red, but now people use food colouring to turn the cake red.

mouse13 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for the quick responses. I am so glad I asked. I cooked the red velvet for his dad, and made him a spice cake. Again thank you so much.

PinkZiab Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 12:31am
post #5 of 5

It is not, really, a chocolate cake. An authentic red velvet is a buttermilk cake with a HINT of cocoa (traditional you would not use dutch-processed cocoa, and this would cause the reddish hue that is imparted by that chemical reaction--same as devil's food, the red dye came later)... if you bite into a taste chocolate, then you've added too much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%