What Does Red Velvet Cake Like?

Decorating By mouse13 Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 12:31am by PinkZiab

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 5

I decided to give red velvet a try for my hubby's and father-in-laws father's day cakes. I have never made this or had it, and wondering what it tastes like? It kinda smelt like chocolate, am I just smelling things or does this cake taste like chocolate? Any help would be great, cause my hubby does not like chocolate.

thanks

4 replies
ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 5

It is a chocolate cake. It has a different texture. I dont know how to describe it.

FionaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FionaB Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 5

it's basically a light chocolate cake with red food colouring, the recipe uses bicarbonate of soda and vinegar as a raising agent, which used to react with the chocolate and turn red, but now people use food colouring to turn the cake red.

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for the quick responses. I am so glad I asked. I cooked the red velvet for his dad, and made him a spice cake. Again thank you so much.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 12:31am
post #5 of 5

It is not, really, a chocolate cake. An authentic red velvet is a buttermilk cake with a HINT of cocoa (traditional you would not use dutch-processed cocoa, and this would cause the reddish hue that is imparted by that chemical reaction--same as devil's food, the red dye came later)... if you bite into a taste chocolate, then you've added too much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%