Impression Mats Vs. Stencils..need Advice Before I Buy!!!

Decorating By notjustcakes Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 10:38pm by Price

notjustcakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing 2 wedding cakes in August both of which have heavy scrollwork....I see beautiful scrollwork on lots of wedding cakes...The kind that is ivory scrolls on ivory frosting. This scrollwork is pretty structured, not random, so I am assuming that a Stencil or impression mat is being used...

So two questions...If the stencil is being used, how are they getting the pattern transferred? I know you let the BC crust over, then I assume you use piping gel and trowel it over the stencil and carefully remove...Will the piping gel leave enough of the image for me to pipe over? Is there some other way to do this?or......

Should I just buy the impression mat? Do they work well? Please help...This is a repost because (wahhhh!!!) no one replied to the first...Any help or ideas are appreciated.

4 replies
MBHazel Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 5

I find both of them very frustrating, especially if it is a continous pattern all the way around the cake. In that case you have to be very careful about making sure your height is exact around the cake, if not your pattern with creep up or down, kinda like hanging wallpaper in a room that is not square. (I speak from experience, both with cake and wallpaper) icon_rolleyes.gif

Price Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 5

I used a stencil on 2 of my cakes that were ivory on ivory. They were not wedding cakes, but it's the same idea. One is somewhat of a scroll pattern. For that one I cut a stencil using the shower invitation as my pattern. The other was a stencil I purchased. for both, I iced the cake in an ivory bc, let it crust and then held the stencil against the side and with a small pallette knife spread a little deeper ivory bc over the stencil. Carefully pulled the stencil away a had a nice pattern on the side of my cake. No need to pipe anything. I found it was better for me to put the bc as thin as possible over the stencil. It gave me a cleaner, neater looking desing. HTH.

notjustcakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 5

how do you get the image transferred....Do you trowel on piping gel and then overpipe with icing? (with the stencils)....Or is it easier to transfer image by just using the impression mat? Hope that makes sense

Price Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 5

When you use a stencil there is no need to use piping gel. The stencil is a thin piece of plastic or mylar that has areas cut out of it. The area that has been cut out is your pattern. Hold the stencil against your crusted butter cream, and using butter cream or royal icing, gently ice over the pattern. Make sure you are not putting alot of icing on. It only takes a thin coating to go over the stencil. Scrape any extra off and then carefully pull the stencil away and your pattern will be on the cake. At that point it is finished! Move your stencil over and repeat for the next section.

Quote by @%username% on %date%