Feasible To Sell Cupcakes At An Outdoor Festival (Hot)?

Business By SugaredUp Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 11:47pm by MichelleM77

SugaredUp Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 16

It's an outdoor festival - well not really a festival - but I'm calling it one, I guess. It's in late August, which is really hot around here usually.

How can I keep them cool?

Also, would you only accept cash for something like this? I know I'd need a temporary license more than likely in addition to my usual.

Just wondered if there are any caterers who've done a food festival or something like that where the food needed to be kept cool. I just don't want the BC to melt. Maybe there is some equipment I could rent? Do rental places rent already made up booths? There is no organizer to contact w/ my questions.

Thanks in advance!

Amber

15 replies
SugaredUp Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:05am
post #2 of 16

Wow. I can't belive NO ONE answered. Well, I answered my own question! Yes, it's feasible, but you will pay some money to keep them cool. A local party rental company has freezer packs that will hold several dozen, and you rent by the day. FYI

leah_s Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:40am
post #3 of 16

Look in the recipe section here for "Whipped Cream Buttercream". There's no cream in it and it's heat stable.

leah_s Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:41am
post #4 of 16

Look in the recipe section here for "Whipped Cream Buttercream". There's no cream in it and it's heat stable.

leah_s Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:42am
post #5 of 16

leah_s Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:43am
post #6 of 16

cylstrial Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 16

[quote="SugaredUp"]Wow. I can't belive NO ONE answered. Well, I answered my own question! Yes, it's feasible, but you will pay some money to keep them cool. A local party rental company has freezer packs that will hold several dozen, and you rent by the day. FYI[/quote

That's pretty cool! But try Leah's suggestion first. It sounds like you won't have to fork over any money at all.

cylstrial Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 16

[quote="SugaredUp"]Wow. I can't belive NO ONE answered. Well, I answered my own question! Yes, it's feasible, but you will pay some money to keep them cool. A local party rental company has freezer packs that will hold several dozen, and you rent by the day. FYI[/quote

That's pretty cool! But try Leah's suggestion first. It sounds like you won't have to fork over any money at all.

sportsmom005 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 16

indydebi's buttercream is great. I don't think you'd have to worry about it melting.

Chrisy

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 16

A nice big cooler (regular picnic type, nothing commercial and fancy) with the bottom lined with ice packs should keep them fine.

I don't know how you would accept anything other than cash at a festival without hefty fees. Do you already have a credit card account set up with a merchant service? I have seen a set-up where you can hook it up to a laptop and process online or you can do it old school with the credit card slider and then have to put all the charges through when you get home. I think most people carry cash at events like this and you won't have a problem.

Needing a temp license for a festival is dependent on your state guidelines I believe. I know I didn't need one (no sales tax on what I was selling and that's what a vendor's license is basically for, so the state can collect their sales tax).

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 16

A nice big cooler (regular picnic type, nothing commercial and fancy) with the bottom lined with ice packs should keep them fine.

I don't know how you would accept anything other than cash at a festival without hefty fees. Do you already have a credit card account set up with a merchant service? I have seen a set-up where you can hook it up to a laptop and process online or you can do it old school with the credit card slider and then have to put all the charges through when you get home. I think most people carry cash at events like this and you won't have a problem.

Needing a temp license for a festival is dependent on your state guidelines I believe. I know I didn't need one (no sales tax on what I was selling and that's what a vendor's license is basically for, so the state can collect their sales tax).

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:48pm
post #12 of 16

SugaredUp Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:35pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks, guys! I keep going back and forth on whether to do this. Seems like anytime I do an event, I lose money by the time I pay someone to help out, pay the fee and all the supplies...

Michelle, how did your festival go? Would you do it again? This is a large festival that draws people from all over the country. Last year, there were over a million visitors to the area...

THANKS!

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:45pm
post #14 of 16

I'm doing a local farmer's market that is once a week, but I've only been to one so far due to my work schedule. It was extremely hot and humid, and I wish I had had a cooler! Live and learn. I also overbaked; not so much items, but I did about six different things and that was too much for me, with a cookie order, two cake orders, and the farmer's market within a few days of each other along with working my two other jobs. While I sold about half of what I took, I'm also pricing my items to move. I don't want to come home with anything. We also closed about halfway through (the market is four hours) due to rain, so I'm hoping this week will be better. If nothing else I'm doing it for the advertising. I have a little invested, besides the baked goods (canopy tent, banner, fabric to make tablecloth, etc.) but they are all things that can be reused for other events/next year/etc.

I definitely learned a lot doing it for the first time and consider it time well spent. I can't wait for my next market day. Good luck whatever you decide! icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:46pm
post #15 of 16

I'm doing a local farmer's market that is once a week, but I've only been to one so far due to my work schedule. It was extremely hot and humid, and I wish I had had a cooler! Live and learn. I also overbaked; not so much items, but I did about six different things and that was too much for me, with a cookie order, two cake orders, and the farmer's market within a few days of each other along with working my two other jobs. While I sold about half of what I took, I'm also pricing my items to move. I don't want to come home with anything. We also closed about halfway through (the market is four hours) due to rain, so I'm hoping this week will be better. If nothing else I'm doing it for the advertising. I have a little invested, besides the baked goods (canopy tent, banner, fabric to make tablecloth, etc.) but they are all things that can be reused for other events/next year/etc.

I definitely learned a lot doing it for the first time and consider it time well spent. I can't wait for my next market day. Good luck whatever you decide! icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:47pm
post #16 of 16

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%