Help!!! Last Minute Crisis!

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 1:14am by yamber82

yamber82 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 8

i just sat down to make the roses for a 4th of july wedding and stupid me, have never made a rose before other then tiny ones. i can't do it! they look like crap and i don't have a 5petal cutter. would it be tacky to use real ones? it is a 3 tier with the seperated teir stand and i was going to cover eich tier with a pile of blue and red roses as that is the colros she wanted them. i don't think i can buy blue roses so i am wondering if it would look ok to use red roses and another blue accent flower sprigs or something. it needs to have red and blue. i don't think she's really picky.

7 replies
chefjulie Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 8

Have you tried the "Duff" rose? They're super cute and easy to make! All you need is a circle cutter to make them. If you search Duff in the galleries, you'll find instructions icon_smile.gif

shelbur10 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 8

Are you trying to make them with buttercream or fondant? Can you post a pic, maybe someone can help you where you're having problems. I never could make a BC rose, but once I got the frosting consistency right, they turned out ok (not great, but okay)

1234me Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 8

I would ask the bride first before I did anything. She may not want real roses. Just a thought.

I suck at buttercream roses too so I know how you feel! Good luck!

Mikel79 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 8

Hi!

You do not need a 5 petal cutter for roses. If you have a circle cutter you can use that. If you go to YOUTUBE.com and type in EDNA Gumpaste Roses, she has a video showing this. I hope this helps out some...

=)

yamber82 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 8

i was trying with gp. i was using a circle cutter actually but for some reason they are looking like poo! it looks so easy in the video. they are also really time consuming and i need a crapload of them. i would have started on them earlier but my babysitter was sick and then my son has been sick this whole week. i'm stressed icon_sad.gif

hammer1 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 12:00am
post #7 of 8

i would go with buttercream roses and make them ahead and dry them or my preferred method is to make them ahead and freeze them. put down a mound of icing and add leaves and then put your frozen roses on the mound, fill in with additional flowers, buds or leaves. this saves a lot of time by having them made ahead of time. vary the sizes.

yamber82 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:14am
post #8 of 8

thanks guys for all your advice! i found the rose method witht he circles, forgot the name, and it totally worked!!!!! i would upload a pic but i'm too lazy. i used4-5 circles and then cut out extra circles and rolled the edges like some of the other tutorials. i basically combined both methods which shortened the time tremendously.

i was looking at wedding cakes earlier and noticed that almost all of them have real flowers though, what is the norm on that? what do you guys prefer? maybe i should start this as a new thread..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%