Hobart 20 Qt. Mixer - Info?

Business By Loucinda Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 1:22pm by Loucinda

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 13

Ok - the monster is in my kitchen now! icon_biggrin.gif I can't wait to start using it, but that won't be till next week.

I was wondering if those of you who have one have any comments or helpful hints on using it - adjusting recipes for it......any info at all will be greatly appreciated.

I have turned it on, and it doesn't vibrate the house down - so that is a good thing!

I have 3 bowls for it and a guard (2 stainless steel, one plastic) and the paddle. I know I want to get the dough hook, and should I get the whip for it also?

12 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 13

wow 3 bowls!!!!

i don't adjust anything.....you are gonna LOVE IT!

i have the dough hook, and have entertained the idea of making a big batch of fondant...but never have.

i've had a busy day...i've had to only make icing twice...i can't imagine how many it would have taken with a lil kitchenaid.

i don't know what you paid for it, but those bowls are really expensive! you really musta got a deal.

in all the years i've had it, i've never used the dough hook.

Loucinda Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks littlecake - DH wants me to try it out now, but I have no big cakes till next week!

I am so excited about it!!

The net big purchase will be a 3 door refrigerator. I have researched those vs. the walk in and for me, I think the 3 door will be a better option...less humidity when opening the doors.

littlecake Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 13

i have a 2 door reach in freezer....it meets my needs pretty well, i only have an apartment sized refrigerator ...i just don't have use for a big one.

i used to keep the cakes i was working on, in my cooler case....til it went KA POOT...now i just leave them out iced on the bakery racks, i was told on here keeping them in the fridge makes them dry.

that cooler blew out so much hot air when it was working, i had to turn my air conditioning up higher, well since it broke i'm saving 100 a month on eletric.

Loucinda Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 13

Hmmm....that is good info too. I may have to rethink that purchase! I like the idea of the racks better. I have a while before I will have to decide for sure, I really appreciate your input!

I bake a lot of artisan breads in the fall/winter - that is why I want the dough hook for the Hobart - that will save on my arms a LOT!

I can't really think of any uses for the whip - I don't do IMBC or the like (not yet anyways)

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks fo this thread....I am also purchasing one for my new stoer opening Sept.

How many cakes do you average per week? Just wondering if I need something bigger..

thanks!

Loucinda Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 13

adven - I did not need this mixer yet. It just kicks my butt when I have a big wedding cake or I have several cakes to do at once. I just was offered a deal on it that was too good to pass up, and I am building my clientel and business as I go. I know eventually I woulld definately need it - so after discussing it with my DH I decided to go ahead and get it now.

I know it will beat making 4 or 5 batches of icing in the 6 qt. for sure! icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck with your shop!

edited to add: DD just gave me what for - said YES, you do need it now, why did you say you didn't??? (she is 21 and knows everything!) icon_wink.gif

adven68 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

adven - I did not need this mixer yet. It just kicks my butt when I have a big wedding cake or I have several cakes to do at once.( I have a 6 qt. KA Pro and a KA Artisan before this purchase) I just was offered a deal on it that was too good to pass up, and I am building my clientel and business as I go. I know eventually I woulld definately need it - so after discussing it with my DH I decided to go ahead and get it now.

I know it will beat making 4 or 5 batches of icing in the 6 qt. for sure! icon_biggrin.gif

I would talk to Leah or Indy or Tonedna about what size you will need for your business - they all have a lot more experience with this than me!

Good luck with your shop!

Oh, thank you! I will seek their advice!

littlecake Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #9 of 13

i have a 30 quart, i could get by with a 20, but it would be harder...

the main use is icing, i go thru a couple hundred pounds a week

adven68 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:41am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

i have a 30 quart, i could get by with a 20, but it would be harder...

the main use is icing, i go thru a couple hundred pounds a week

that's a lot of icing...LOL
Is yours a floor model or a counter top model?

littlecake Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 12:26pm
post #11 of 13

a 30 quart is a floor model...it's almost as tall as me, after working in bakeries for a few years, they always had 60 quart models....mine looks small compared to them.

adven68 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:54pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

a 30 quart is a floor model...it's almost as tall as me, after working in bakeries for a few years, they always had 60 quart models....mine looks small compared to them.

oh, that's funny..i guess it's all relative! I think I will start with the counter model & hopefully work my way up!

Thanks for all the advice. icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:22pm
post #13 of 13

Make sure you have a heavy duty counter/stand to set it on. I bought the stand to go with mine - and it doesn't move at all. I know if I had it on my 6 ft. stainless table it would jiggle it. (another reason the 30 qt. is a good idea - it is a floor model!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%