Fondant Paint Help??

Decorating By sbarauskas Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 11:27pm by tracey1970

sbarauskas Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 7

I've seen several people say they paint there fondant and I've seen it done on shows. Seems much easier than trying to color the entire fondant. What do you use to paint onto fondant? Is it just food color and water or do you have to mix something in? Any help and ideas would be great. Thanks

6 replies
notjustcakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 7

I paint fondant by taking a small amount of paste dye with the tip of a toothpick and mixing it with a few drops of water to dilute it a bit.. Then I paint the fondant. Caution the fondant must be fully dry or it with get soggy and the dye will kind of melt the fondant. Don't overwet the fondant either (melts!). You have to work quickly and not overbrush. If the color is a bit too dark, re-wet the brush and brush over the fondant quickly and it will lighten a shade...Remove excess liquid with dry brush....Hope that helps...

Sugarflowers Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 7

There are a few options for painting designs on cakes. My favorite is air brush colors. It paints on like ink, dries quickly, and maintains a consistent color. Powdered and gel colors can be mixed with vodka or Everclear. This also dries well but as the alcohol evaporates the color changes and thickens. Even with adding more liquor it's hard to keep the color the same. I have never used water to make paint so maybe someone else can help you with that.

Spuddysmom Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 7

I use gel mixed with a clear liquor (vodka) for more of a matte finish. Color mixed with water gives you an interesting effect, more of a "porcelain" look, pretty but can be very uneven. Have fun experimenting.

Andy383240 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 7

If you want to paint say, a scene or flowers, you can thin food colors as Sugarflowers mentioned and do watercolor looks. Vodka evaporates quickly so it doesn't melt he fondant as much as water. For all over color you can brush on thinned food color, but you might never get an even solid finish. Aibrushing is a good way to add color to large areas, but you have to be practiced at it to be consistent. Airbrushing gives you more options for color because you can mix up whatever you want and practice on something besides the cake until you like the result. Mixing color into fondant is hard work and many times the right color doesn't happen especially with dark colors! LOL. I speak from experience. Get some fondant, roll it out and experiment. You may come up with a signature look all your own!

BillaCakes Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 7

I've used the Wilton colors and vodka before, but maybe I'm not doing it right as mine looks really shiny afterwards. It could have been the 90F+ Texas heat too icon_surprised.gif) I've been told NOT to use water as water and fondant don't mix well; I use water if I am "gluing" fondant on itself. I think I should also point out that I use MMF exclusively; it tends not to dry out as fast as regular fondant in my experience and that might lead to the shininess I get on mine!

tracey1970 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 7

I have painted on fondant several times - pics are in my photos - and I do what the others have said. I roll out about 1/4" of fondant, thin down gel colour with vokda, and paint away. I don't wait for the fondant to dry before painting. I use either Wilton or Satin Ice fondant and have been fine painting right away after rolling out the piece I need. Do you need to use "flesh" colour (i.e. Caucasian skin colour)? That nearly BROKE me when I did my Disney Princess cake. I couldn't find a colour that would turn out - I tried copper, ivory, peach, and many other colours/mixtures, you name it (I use copper to get butterream that colour, but it wouldn't work on fondant) - and nothing worked. I finally found a "flesh" colour - not Wilton - and even it was the wrong colour. I finally got the right colour when I mixed with with Wilton's White-White colour, but then it would not dry. Even after almost a month, it was still wet. Trying to draw on facial features with edible markers was like trying to write on wet Elmer's white glue. It was horrible!! For that reason, I will never use flesh tone again unless I can find a colour that works just by diluting it with vodka. Just a caution!

Quote by @%username% on %date%