I made Toba Garrett's fondant and am having issues with it cracking and tearing too easily. I tried working in extra powdered sugar and extra shortening and nothing would make it useable. My first attempt with it and after kneading it and working with it forever, 2 failed attempts to roll it out, I finally just added my box of Wilton so I could get this cake done. What can I do in the future, or what could have went wrong?
Wish I could help; I've cursed her a few times over that recipe.
I love it...sometimes.
I always make it exactly as her recipe says. I refrigerate it overnight to rest. I take it out and let it come to room temp and knead it, and ...USUALLY....that first time rolling it, it's great, perfect, wonderful.
BUT: If you add color, or if you try using it after too long, or the stars aren't aligned right for fondant (lol), it will turn into the texture of cookie dough and just fall apart instead of stretching. Which makes me curse and cry, when I'm out of fondant and time, like it's midnight and I'm rolling out red fondant for a cake in the a.m....!
I've actually thought about writing to her to ask wtf. P's me off to no end.
Far as I can tell, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, add too much color to it and let it sit very long; it seems to self destruct.
Anyone else with a solution to this (besides buying Satin Ice), puh-lease, let us know.
I'm tempted to just find a different recipe, except that when it's good...it's so good!
Thanks for the response. I think I know my trouble with it. I let it sit out for 2 days to get to room temp and i added coloring. Sounds like it's a great fondant but only when it works. I wonder if there's maybe a specific ingredient that has to be measured exact and perfect to make it come out right every time.
I don't let it sit out much longer than first thing in the a.m. for the day I'll need to use it.
On a surprising note, I pulled some out of the fridge that has been in there for a couple of weeks, expected the worst, but warmed it to room temp this morning, and rolled it out, and it was perfect, but I didn't want to jinx it and add to color to it, so I ended up painting it...