What Is Almond Bark?

Decorating By SweetMelissa2007 Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 1:46am by lngo

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 8

Can anyone tell me? Is it white chocolate with almond flavoring? I'm thinking about trying it for a white chocolate ganache or, I guess, almond bark ganache! icon_lol.gif Does anyone know if this will work? What else is it used for? TIA

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 8

Almond bark is made with melted chocolate and almonds Usually whole mixed in.Then you spread in on a sheet pan and let it set in the fridge.When it hardens you breaks the pieces up...It can be made with dark,milk or white chocolate..I guess you can make a version with almond flavoring for ganache..I would test it out first!

tabicat21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabicat21 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 8

I buy it to dip cake balls and strawberries. Its a candy coating very similar to chocolate. Ingredients: sugar, cornstarch, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, cocoa process with alkali, cocoa, soy lecithin, artificial flavor and milk. No Almonds. It's usually on the top shelf at Walmart above the other chocolate. Very easy to dip with.

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:18am
post #4 of 8

Yes, that's where I found it. The package actually says "Make your own Almond Bark" on it but I didn't realize that when I got it. So do you know if it will work for ganache? Does it "harden" the same way as regular chocolate? I will definitely try it before using for a cake but if anyone knows and could help that would be awesome TIA, Melissa

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:25am
post #5 of 8

I tried to make some ganache with it last night and it did NOT work.

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:32am
post #6 of 8

Misdawn, oh that SUCKS! What happened to it that it didn't work?

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:34am
post #7 of 8

I made it just like I make it with regular chocolate. I usually put it in the fridge to let it thicken when using it for filling. So that's what I did with this. It never thickened. It never set. I even put a second batch into the freezer for about 4 hours and it still didn't 'set'. I don't know what went wrong.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:46am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

I made it just like I make it with regular chocolate. I usually put it in the fridge to let it thicken when using it for filling. So that's what I did with this. It never thickened. It never set. I even put a second batch into the freezer for about 4 hours and it still didn't 'set'. I don't know what went wrong.

Thank you soooooooooo much for sharing that. I was going to buy some almond bark tonight and experiment, but you saved me a trip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%