Darice Polymer Clay Extruder Gun By Darice

Decorating By ombaker Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 3:52am by ombaker

18 replies
CakesByLJ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 19

That one is very difficult to push the fondant through.. icon_sad.gif In your craft stores, in the polymer clay section you will find a green colored extruder, that sells for around $20, that works very well... hth

quietude Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 19

Very difficult to use for fondant, I returned mine the next day!!!

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 19

I bought a clay extruder and then couldn't use it because there was this black gunk inside that never went away, I washed it and washed it and it never went away! I ended up throwing it out because I was so mad! I didn't keep the receipt - I should have. I'm not sure what brand it was though. Now I just use my son's play dough toys, the ones that make hair, etc. or the garlic press.

artscallion Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:

No. That one with the push thing DOES NOT WORK. You need the green Makin one where you spin the lever. It takes no effort and works perfectly. I use it all the time.

http://tinyurl.com/aa2j7z

ombaker Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks guys! I'll look for that other one at Jo-Ann's tomorrow when the coupon comes out!!

GARLIC PRESS!!?? I had thought of that but never tried it. Does it really work for hair??

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 19

The garlic press does work for hair if you only need short hair. It doesn't come out very long. I got the makins clay extruder and it works great!

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 19

You can make longer hair with a garlic press by adding more fondant (knead in a fair amount of crisco) to the press before pressing out all of the previous load.

I use the Makins' Ultimate Extruder (light green metal with a "T" handle to twist) all of the time. It's much better than any push extruder available. I never use it for hair. I always use my garlic press for that.

HTH
Rae

rharris524 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:56pm
post #10 of 19

I have the Sculpty one which is very similar looking to your original post. Anyhow, it kind of sucks but it does fine for small jobs

jensenscakes Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 12:41am
post #11 of 19

I used my makin's for the first time today and I LOVE IT! It was so easy to use and clean. I would defenitley get that one. icon_biggrin.gif

IDoCakesinTX Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:42am
post #12 of 19

I was planning on buying the clay gun that Sharon Zambito uses....not sure about what the name of it is.......any one tried that one vs. the Makins?

kentuckyjode Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:51am
post #13 of 19

For some reason, I can't for the life of me get the green one with the twist thing to work..it is so hard..what am I doing wrong?

jillangel Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:06am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyjode

For some reason, I can't for the life of me get the green one with the twist thing to work..it is so hard..what am I doing wrong?

Rub and knead some crisco into your fondant and roll into a long sausage and put it in. It comes out like butter it is so nice. Sometimes takes some playing with fondant consistency but when you get it you will LOVE the Makins ultimate twisty one!

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:14am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoCakesinTX

I was planning on buying the clay gun that Sharon Zambito uses....not sure about what the name of it is.......any one tried that one vs. the Makins?

It's the black & red one--Sugar Shaper or Sugar Craft gun.

I have it, too. I hate it. Never use it. Hard on the hand, expensive, doesn't hold enough fondant to warrant the time it takes to use.

Only benefit I can think of is that some PME tips can be put on it directly and you can sqeeze out strings of fondant directly onto the cake. Still not worth it to me.

Just my '02
Rae

IDoCakesinTX Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:44am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoCakesinTX

It's the black & red one--Sugar Shaper or gun.

I have it, too. I hate it. Never use it. Hard on the hand, expensive, doesn't hold enough fondant to warrant the time it takes to use.

Only benefit I can think of is that some PME tips can be put on it directly and you can sqeeze out strings of fondant directly onto the cake. Still not worth it to me.

Just my '02
Rae

Wow. I'm shocked. Do you have the Makins? What do you recommend?

cookiemama2 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 2:50am
post #17 of 19

I have the first one pictured and as long as the fondant is soft it works.

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:00am
post #18 of 19

Yes, as I previously posted:

"I use the Makins' Ultimate Extruder (light green metal with a "T" handle to twist) all of the time. It's much better than any push extruder available. I never use it for hair. I always use my garlic press for that. "

HTH
Rae

ombaker Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:52am
post #19 of 19

I went to the only two craft stores I know and neither had the Makins one so I reluctantly bought one similar to my original post. It is hard to press but it works fine for what I need at the moment so for 5 dollars I'll keep it. I wouldn't be happy with it if I was decorating a lot though.

Thanks for all the input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%