Chocolate Fondant

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 1:53am by anricat

Cathy26 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 26

hi everyone, im making chocolate fondant for the first time next week. the recipe im using is melted chocolate mixed with sugar syrup and glucose, left for 24 hours and then kneaded into fondant. has anyone used anything like this before - does it work ok, is it stickier or harder to work with?

the cake is for my best friend who said i could use her cake order to experiment with - im going to make a suitcase as it is a welcome home cake for her sister so im really glad of a chance to try this out but any tips would be appreciated!!

25 replies
susanscakecreations Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 26

If yo can, try this recipe; it is FABULOUS! I use it a lot! It is a dream to work with, it smells heavenly, and it tastes just like a Tootsie Roll!!! Here is the recipe:

Rhond'as Ultimate Chocolate MMF
Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time:
Category: Pound Cakes, Sponge Cakes, White Cakes, Yellow Cakes, Thanksgiving Cakes, Strawberry Cakes
Difficulty: Easy

This is an awesome chocolate mmf that actually tastes chocolate. It's also great for making black because its already dark and you need very little to get it black.

15 oz. mini marshmallows
2 T water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
2 tsp light corn syrup (helps w/ pliability)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 to 3/4 C dutch processed (dark) cocoa
6 C confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/2 C Crisco or vegetable shortening

** I have found that I have to use less sugar because of the cocoa.

Grease microwave proof bowl w/ Crisco. Also grease wooden or heat proof spoon. Pour marshmallows and water into bowl. Microwave for approximately 2 minutes stopping and stirring at 40 second intervals. Mixture should be soupy.

Take out of microwave and immediately add corn syrup, cocoa, lemon juice, salt and extract. Stir well. Sift confectioner's sugar into mixture, one cup at a time. After approximately 5 cups, grease your hands well with Crisco and knead the mixture in the bowl. Add the sixth cup and continue to knead. Now grease your work surface well and turn mixture out of bowl onto counter and knead well. If mixture seems soft, add one additional cup of powdered sugar.

Shape into a mound and put a coating of crisco on outside. Double wrap in cling wrap and insert into ziplock bag. Press air out of bag and seal. Allow to rest overnight, but, can be used after sitting for a few hours.

Hope you like it!
Source:
Contributed by: rhopar33 on Tuesday, March 13. 2007 at 08:19:04

leah_s Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 26

I buy Satin Ice. There's nothing easier than, 1) open bucket, 2) scoop out 3) knead 4) use. icon_smile.gif

momma28 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 26

Hi, I had posted this question several days ago. I just made chocolate mmf last night and it was soooooo much better than the gelatin based chocolate fondant I had used from the cake bible. Not at all dry and beautifully malleable.

I simply substituted 2/3 cup cocoa for 1 cup of confec sugar. Its not an equal swap because cocoa seems to dry it out more than the confec sugar. I also added 1 tblsp of shortening to the mm while melting them and it worked great. Tastes like a giant tootsie roll.

Hope this helps

Cathy26 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 26

whats a tootsie roll? im from the uk so ive never eaten one - also while im at it, what is a twinkie and what do they taste of - they seem to crop up on tv and in books constantly so im intrigued!!

and finally - what are rice krispie treats? are they the same as rice krispie squares (like cereal bars held together with marshmallow)

momma28 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 26

A tootsie roll is a chewy chocolate candy that is softer than taffy. A twinkie is a commercially made vanilla spongecake with a cream filling that is shaped kind of like a hot dog. I am not a fan of twinkies but I like tootsie rolls a lot.

FionaB Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 26

Haven't made chocolate fondant yet, can you let me know how you get on. Thanks

disubu Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 26

bump

laneysmom Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I buy . There's nothing easier than, 1) open bucket, 2) scoop out 3) knead 4) use. icon_smile.gif

Me, too! Love Satin Ice chocolate!!!!!!

varika Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy24

and finally - what are rice krispie treats? are they the same as rice krispie squares (like cereal bars held together with marshmallow)

They are the same. The recipe was marketed as "treats" here in the US by Kellog's because that seems to make American children jump up and do tricks for it, and also because they like to show commercials over here of making them into star shapes and happy faces and so forth, and American children stubbornly insist that those are not SQUARES. (And so do American adults, a lot of times! icon_lol.gif )

Edit: Also, interesting fact--after looking up information on tootsie rolls, it seems that they are basically....

Candy clay.

icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cathy26 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 26

never even thought of mushing up rice krispie squares before but everyone from ace of cakes to various people on here seem to be using them...maybe i have never tried it because i would have them eaten before it occured to me to do anything else with them cause they are yummy icon_smile.gif

momma28 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:03am
post #12 of 26

I SPOKE TOO SOON!! The chocolate mmf that I made seemed wonderful at first. Then when I went to actually cover the cake with it (sculpted cake) it was horrible...cracking, sticking nomatter how much corn starch I used. I would up giving up and making reg mmf and just coloring it brown. What the heck is in cocoa that does that to the fondant? The only time I had success was when I used compounding chocolate but sams only carries it during Christmas and I am out.

rharris524 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:16am
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

I SPOKE TOO SOON!! The chocolate mmf that I made seemed wonderful at first. Then when I went to actually cover the cake with it (sculpted cake) it was horrible...cracking, sticking nomatter how much corn starch I used. I would up giving up and making reg mmf and just coloring it brown. What the heck is in cocoa that does that to the fondant? The only time I had success was when I used compounding chocolate but sams only carries it during Christmas and I am out.

I feel your pain! i used basically the same recipe as you (subbing in cocoa powder in MMF) and this is what I got:

I'm completely up for suggestions
LL

varika Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris524

I feel your pain! i used basically the same recipe as you (subbing in cocoa powder in MMF) and this is what I got:

I'm completely up for suggestions

You could...try starting with chocolate marshmallows, maybe. I've never gone for chocolate fondant, I don't think.

jaybug Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:52am
post #15 of 26

I add chocolate chips or candy melts to my mmf to make chocolate. I've never had any problems with cracking or drying out. The dark chocolate mint candy melts makes really yummy chocolate fondant. thumbs_up.gif

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:04am
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

I SPOKE TOO SOON!! The chocolate mmf that I made seemed wonderful at first. Then when I went to actually cover the cake with it (sculpted cake) it was horrible...cracking, sticking nomatter how much corn starch I used. I would up giving up and making reg mmf and just coloring it brown. What the heck is in cocoa that does that to the fondant?

This was my experience also. I had a black cake to do so I thought I would just sub cocoa in the MMF recipe for some of the powdered sugar. It ended up in the trash and I had to run with black buttercream (and black teeth on everyone that had cake!)

FionaB Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 10:02am
post #17 of 26

Cathy

You can buy wonderful chocolate fondant from A piece of cake UK company, I have never used it but I have tasted it and it was great, the do a really good flowerpaste aswell and will ship to Northern Ireland.

Eisskween Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 10:29am
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I buy . There's nothing easier than, 1) open bucket, 2) scoop out 3) knead 4) use. icon_smile.gif

I agree, I also buy the satin ice.

No matter how hard I try with the homemade chocolate fondant (any recipe) it comes out crumbly and impossible to work with. Chocolate Satin Ice is my best friend when it comes to chocolate fondant.

sheilabelle Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:42am
post #19 of 26

Jaybug - how much melted choc. do you add to your fondant? Is it MMF or reg. fondant?

momma28 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 1:19pm
post #20 of 26

My dh who used to work in the chemical industry said that the chocolate needs to be in a seperate phase than the dry phase of the confec sugar so that it emulsifies....translation...either combine the cocoa with melted shortening or use melted chocolate. Maybe thats why I had success with compounding chocolate.

Will try it next time.

Shelley0323 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 9:58pm
post #21 of 26

Chocolate marshmallows work pretty good. You still have to add some brown food coloring if you want it a darker shade, but it is pretty yummy.
The strawberry marshmallows make really good starwberry fondant too. HTH!

jaybug Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm
post #22 of 26

Sheilabelle, I usually put about a cup or cup and 1/2 chocolate in chocolate fondant. It is mmf and I just stir them in after the marshmallows are melted. Sometimes you may have to put them back in the microwave for just a little bit if they don't melt enough when you add them to melted marshmallows. Then I just add my ps. It really is good and I have never had any crumbling or cracking issues with it. Most of the time I really don't measure the chocolate but I think it is a cup or cup and1/2. Just play around with it till you get it to your liking. icon_biggrin.gif

lngo Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:21am
post #23 of 26

I've never had good luck with chocolate fondant EXCEPT when I add melted chocolate to MFF. From trial and error, I found that chocolate MFF works better when I use it immediately. Letting it sit overnight just makes it drier even if I add less PS. It does need a little more shortening though during the manual kneading because it's a little sticky. To make chocolate MFF darker, I've also tried replacing some of the PS with Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa. It's almost black!

Various chocolate fondant recipes on the internet and that from the Cake Bible did not jive for me. MFF seems to be the only one that worked (if I used it within 1-2 hours of making it).

lngo Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:23am
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybug

Sheilabelle, I usually put about a cup or cup and 1/2 chocolate in chocolate fondant. It is mmf and I just stir them in after the marshmallows are melted. Sometimes you may have to put them back in the microwave for just a little bit if they don't melt enough when you add them to melted marshmallows. Then I just add my ps. It really is good and I have never had any crumbling or cracking issues with it. Most of the time I really don't measure the chocolate but I think it is a cup or cup and1/2. Just play around with it till you get it to your liking. icon_biggrin.gif

I've never tried adding chcolate to MMF...do you let it sit overnight? Or is it ok to use after making it? Sounds like my next experiment!

jaybug Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:47am
post #25 of 26

For me it works best to just let it cool down for a couple of hours. hth! icon_smile.gif

anricat Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 1:53am
post #26 of 26

I added some chocolate chips to my MMF to get chocolate fondant the other day. It worked pretty well, though I only used it for some small bits. I didn't cover anything with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%